Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MaxiClappers for Euphonium

1. MaxiClappers for Euphonium

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share some exciting news in regards to a new development which I have been testing on my Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium.

As many of you will know Stomvi developed a product called MaxiClappers for their range of Trumpets, Cornets and Trombones and I enquired if it was possible that Stomvi would be making this product available for the Euphonium. As a result of this, I have been testing a set of MaxiClappers for the past two weeks and I have been blown away by the results.

A MaxiClapper splits down into three parts consisting of a clapper, cap and thread which forms a chamber. A MaxiClapper is tuned a 6th above the instruments tonality and is designed to give the individual musician a greater comfort in sound, dynamics, range and overall stability.

With the addition of MaxiClappers on my Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium, I felt an overall increase in tonal stability, with each note, across the range, feeling more centred and secure. I felt that notes in the higher register felt more supported with less energy being required to produce a full sound in the lower register. I have also discovered that each note is more malleable in tonal colour and flexibility, which has had a direct impact on turning and has increased the range of colours, within my own sound.

As a further comparison, I have created a short YouTube comparison video which you can access here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHA7ZkH8RxI.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	117768738_633500300612563_4474024075161008895_o.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	553.7 KB 
ID:	7865

Many Thanks,

Micah Dominic Parsons

2. Nice Info Micah!

I’ll be testing a set for my Adams E3 somewhere next month. I’ll post my finding here and will make a video for comparison.
    Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
    Trombone: Benge 175F

That's an interesting concept! I can hear a difference in the recording with/without, but the acoustics (and perhaps recorder) keep me from know if I have an actual preference. Maybe combined with DutchEuph's tests it will be more easy to tell.

How do the devices affect the valve spring seating?

Obviously the 2nd valve device makes using a water catcher impossible, although on my horn I don't need one at all and have stopped using my gutter.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

How does it sound if you attach a Lefreque plate onto it?

Mike

5. Hello everyone,

It would be interesting to test these MaxiClappers with LefreQue Plates, perhaps this is something to try in the very near future.

The device does not effect the valve spring seating although they are currently looking at way to enhance the current design. I am really impressed with my MaxiClappers which I believe truly work! I cannot wait to see what happens in the coming weeks and months ahead.

Many Thanks,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Just wanted to know, would you prefer the MaxiClappers over a heavy bottom cap?
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

7. Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    How does it sound if you attach a Lefreque plate onto it?

Mike
    That's the same vibe I get.
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

The soprano player in my band has a stomvi sop with these on it from the factory. Here's what I don't understand. If they are tuned in relation to the fundamental of the instrument, what happens when you push down a valve and now they are not in tune with the instrument? Does the effect only enhance certain notes? If they are tuned to resonate at a major sixth above the fundamental, certainly a lot of notes you would play would include that harmonic. But not all of them? Maybe it works? I don't know. Maybe it works but for a different reason than their marketing literature claims. Certainly a lot of people like them.
    --
    Barry

9. Hello everyone,

I really do love these MaxiClappers and I really feel that they will be of huge benefit to other euphonium players when the design is finalised and released. I think the MaxiClapper is a totally different feeling to a Heavy Valve Cap and works in a slightly different way. The MaxiClapper is a sound chamber rather than pure weight. I have tested a number of different size Heavy Valve Bottoms and I feel they are totally different to MaxiClappers.

I think certain notes are enhanced more so than others due to the tuned nature of MaxiClappers. I would be interested to see how they work on different brands on instruments.

Many Thanks,

Micah Dominic Parsons
    Last edited by Micah.Dominic.Parsons-OFFLINE; 02-16-2021 at 09:06 AM.

Idle curiosity.

Has anyone else tried these or are they available at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Micah.Dominic.Parsons View Post
    Hello everyone,

I really do love these MaxiClappers and I really feel that they will be of huge benefit to other euphonium players when the design is finalised and released. I think the MaxiClapper is a totally different feeling to a Heavy Valve Cap and works in a slightly different way. The MaxiClapper is a sound chamber rather than pure weight. I have tested a number of different size Heavy Valve Bottoms and I feel they are totally different to MaxiClappers.

I think certain notes are enhanced more so than others due to the tuned nature of MaxiClappers. I would be interested to see how they work on different brands on instruments.

Many Thanks,

Micah Dominic Parsons

m
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast