X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fujiifilm
    • Mar 2011

Bowman Mouthpieces Are Back!

I saw this was posted on Facebook about a week ago, but it looks like Griego has finally restarted production of the Bowman BB mouthpieces previously produced for DEG, and are now for sale through the Griego website (and probably other vendors as well):

https://griegomouthpieces.com/products/bowman.php
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)
  • wizan
    • Sep 2015

Hi,

I asked some details about this mouthpieces because I’m looking for something beetween SM3 and 4AL. I’d like to try a Denis Wick alternative brand.

This is the answer :
    «*The specs. you requested are below. Additionally, be sure to select the appropriate shank. BT is large shank, EU is medium/euro shank, and TB is small shank.

BB1
    Cup Inner Diameter: .990"
    Rim Outer Diameter:1.540"
    Throat: .276"

BB2
    Cup ID: 1.004"
    Rim OD: 1.545"
    Throat: .281"

BB3
    Cup ID: .980"
    Rim OD: 1.515"
    Throat: .232"

Regards,

Comment

• dsurkin
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by wizan View Post
      Hi,

I asked some details about this mouthpieces because I’m looking for something beetween SM3 and 4AL. I’d like to try a Denis Wick alternative brand.

This is the answer :
      «*The specs. you requested are below. Additionally, be sure to select the appropriate shank. BT is large shank, EU is medium/euro shank, and TB is small shank.

BB1
      Cup Inner Diameter: .990"
      Rim Outer Diameter:1.540"
      Throat: .276"

BB2
      Cup ID: 1.004"
      Rim OD: 1.545"
      Throat: .281"

BB3
      Cup ID: .980"
      Rim OD: 1.515"
      Throat: .232"

Regards,
      From what I've read, I think the BB1 and BB2 specs that appear above have been switched. I.e., the BB1 has the largest inner diameter, with BB2 and BB3 in decreasing order. I use the BB1 and it's slightly larger than the 6.5AL (1.00") I use for trombone.
      Dean L. Surkin
      Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
      Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
      Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
      See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

• Ajeasley
        • Mar 2011

You mentioned looking for something between a SM3 and Wick 4AL. In terms of cup depth a BB1 would likely fall in that range, but in every other spec it's far smaller, FYI.
        Andrew Easley
        Principal Euphonium, 35th Infantry Division Band of the Kansas Army National Guard

Comment

• wizan
          • Sep 2015

Thanks, I thanks you are true dsurkin.

Comment

• wizan
            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Ajeasley View Post
            You mentioned looking for something between a SM3 and Wick 4AL. In terms of cup depth a BB1 would likely fall in that range, but in every other spec it's far smaller, FYI.
            Hi, it is what I saw. So, I think I will give a try to a K&G 4D+ or 3.5D+.

Comment

• Magikarp
              • Jul 2020

Originally posted by wizan View Post
              Hi, it is what I saw. So, I think I will give a try to a K&G 4D+ or 3.5D+.
              As someone who was in an identical situation, I bought a Randelfalk R3 and that is perfect in terms of diameter. Slightly bigger than a 4 but without ballooning into 3 dimensions; thoroughly recommended.
              Nowt

Retired

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                • Feb 2016

The randefalk pieces are super comfortable, although I had an issue with an R2 not inserting far enough into the lead pipe of any of my horns. I ended up having Karl Hammond turn the shank for me to get to a proper depth.

Originally posted by Magikarp View Post
                As someone who was in an identical situation, I bought a Randelfalk R3 and that is perfect in terms of diameter. Slightly bigger than a 4 but without ballooning into 3 dimensions; thoroughly recommended.
                Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

Working...
                X