Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Practice and Performing During the 2020 COVID-19 Pandemic

Masks have been scientifically proven to help slow the spread of the virus or the expulsion of droplets from one's mouth. The wearing of masks are primarily to protect others from an infected person who is asymptomatic. CDC and WHO report that it is estimated that 40% or more of infected persons have no symptoms. On the Franklin D. Roosevelt Aircraft Carrier 350 of the 600 were asymptomatic. Businesses here in S. Florida will not let anyone in their place of business if they're not wearing a mask or face covering of some kind.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

2. I purchased a complete brass band set of bell covers for my brass band. Price was under $120 for 10 cornets, 3 tenor horns, 2 baritones, 2 euphoniums, 3 trombones, and 4 tubas.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    i purchased a complete brass band set of bell covers for my brass band. Price was under $120 for 10 cornets, 3 tenor horns, 2 baritones, 2 euphoniums, 3 trombones, and 4 tubas.
    from where????????? ;-)
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

4. Order Summary
    Full Brass Band Set
    Price: £75.00
    Qty: 1 £75.00
    Subtotal £75.00
    Shipping £8.75
    Tax £0.00
    Total £83.75
    Need Assistance? Contact us.
    We'll do everything we can to make sure you have a great experience with us.
    Call us: 01422 882885
    Email us: info@moistureguard.co.uk
    This email was sent by Centre Stage Group Ltd
    https://www.moistureguard.co.uk/
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
    I see why they are doing it this way, but my opinion its that it its foolish and dangerous. Masks are not 100% effective, and only cut back, not eliminate, the amount of virus shedding from infectious people. And new research was just released today which shows that six feet is not enough, as much as sixteen feet may be needed. It's too many people too close together for too long a time. It's early in this pandemic and not enough is known about how this virus spreads to risk students' health.
    Community band went from "just in case we won't have anymore rehearsals" to "no class in session until further notice", all in a 1 week span in March.

AFAIK, if instruments didn't involve blowing (e.g. piano, strings, percussion), then that might be feasible, but even then, I'm sure folks would opt out anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by euphlight View Post
    Minus probably the flute, I am not completely sold about the aerosols from instruments can cause people to get colds, the flu or covid even with one is social distance. If that was the case, we would long known about it.
    There's still gotta be plenty of it that doesn't quite go into the instrument. At least singing is a known culprit...
    https://www.livescience.com/covid-19...r-singing.html

Last night was our coldest outdoor rehearsal to date. We are doing four “Christmas In October” outdoor concerts, all during the day, and I think possibly one more early evening outdoor rehearsal.

I haven’t had a lesson since the end of February, and I’m feeling more and more concerned about specific aspects of playing that I don’t feel confident self-teaching. Some of the good things I’d gotten from lessons in the past were somewhat counterintuitive to my woodwind brain, and I don’t want to form any bad habits.

All of our band rehearsals are outdoors, socially distanced, and we wear masks if we aren’t playing, but we actually play almost all the time we’re together. I’d love to have an outdoor lesson before it gets any colder, but haven’t quite figured out how to broach the idea to my teacher. I still practice an hour a day at least.

I have some playlists of my videos, which might give you some things to work on.

This one is 11 videos about practicing marches, and the sheet music for the part is available for download (free) if you look at the YouTube description for each:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Xuh7oBwJfMPFO9

And many of the videos in my "How To" list could give you some instruction to stay busy until "real" music lessons are generally available:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...7H0G0r4iZVuXjO
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12