Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practice and Performing During the 2020 COVID-19 Pandemic

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)

Practice and Performing During the 2020 COVID-19 Pandemic

I started this thread as I thought it might be of interest to those of you (and me) who play in community bands, in professional groups, in colleges and secondary schools, or just generally anywhere that might involve multiple musicians playing together. This document (below) was written by the Director of Bands at a state university. I removed all mention of the particular school, the rooms, and people, but it could have been perhaps any college or university. I am not making any judgment yet on the content and scope, but would be interested in other's opinions on this. Most all of us will have to deal with this, some already are I am sure.

I posted the document in two versions on Dropbox. A PDF file and Word Document. Both are the same, except the 3 links work inside the Word Document, but not in the PDF file. They both have the same entire letter contents.

The two versions are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q5s5hovdn...sbTpV-iNa?dl=0
    Last edited by John Morgan; 08-13-2020 at 12:35 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Pretty interesting write up by ‘Some’ university. The flute player probably expels more air than other instrumentalist due to blowing across their mpc or head joint. Interesting that they came up with a guard to cut the air amount down. For myself I can’t imagine playing my horn with that special mask with a slit in it. Don’t think I could get enough air through the mask to play. Maybe the college types can though.

Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by RickF; 08-11-2020 at 07:05 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

3. Thank you John
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I see why they are doing it this way, but my opinion its that it its foolish and dangerous. Masks are not 100% effective, and only cut back, not eliminate, the amount of virus shedding from infectious people. And new research was just released today which shows that six feet is not enough, as much as sixteen feet may be needed. It's too many people too close together for too long a time. It's early in this pandemic and not enough is known about how this virus spreads to risk students' health.

I know for myself I’m not going back to band until there’s a proven vaccine. Too risky.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Cases over here seems to be fairly in control (for now at least), and the arts center in my city has started having small shows. The band plans to have a concert early Oct with minimal amount of musicians (probably 1 person per instrument and part).

After reading all that, I'm not sure if it is that wise. But would be nice to be able to play again.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

I believe that masks are extremely effective at reducing the spread of the virus, and we should absolutely all wear them when we are out in public -- but they are not 100% effective. Especially not if you cut a hole in it to play an instrument. And neither is distance. The only way, short of vaccinating everyone, we are going to get a hold on this is stopping the spread, and the only way to do that right now is not to put a whole bunch of people in the same room together, masks or not. It doesn't matter if studies show that playing instruments doesn't amplify the danger, putting a bunch of people in a room right now is irresponsible. It sucks that we can't do all the things we enjoy doing but we're not going to get back to it until we get a handle on the spread of the virus.
    --
    Barry

John, please check your PMs.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

My granddaughter just went back to USC (U. So. Carolina) for band camp. She’s 3rd yr pre-med and plays trombone in the marching band to get in-state tuition. I’m concerned she’s going to catch Covid-19. The Univ. is restricting the size of ensembles, all outdoors, wear mask when not playing. I personally don’t think there’s going to be any college football the way things are going. Two conferences, Big 10 & PAC 12, have already suspended play for the fall. SEC is meeting soon.

Masks are required in all public places here in S. FL. I’ve been wearing one every time I go out since March. They definitely help slow the spread.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Interesting. I am looking into getting a bell cover for my euphonium in case I find myself in a situation which I can play somewhere again (hopefully before Christmas!). None of the major music stores in Canada seem to have them on stock. I don't think my Community Band will be rehearsing until January at the earliest. The Music room in the highschool where we rehearse air circulation system isn't the best and probably can't hold more then 25 people if people are spread out.

Minus probably the flute, I am not completely sold about the aerosols from instruments can cause people to get colds, the flu or covid even with one is social distance. If that was the case, we would long known about it.

As for masks, if one is immune compromised or in a situation like in a care home, dentist et al or a place where one can't social distanced, masks would be a good idea. Otherwise, its quite possible they are doing more harm then good. I've seen enough videos of people wearing masks bullying those who are not wearing masks. There's no need for that be going on at all. Increasingly, those who are wearing masks are not disposing of them properly and are littering. Just try to be kind to everybody, stay safe etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast