X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Morgan
    • Apr 2014

Wick 4AL - Demondrae Warburton - K&G 3.5D Comparisons - Videos

Okay, Dave started this so I got motivated to compare a couple more mouthpieces. My two videos compare the Wick 4AL with the Warburton Demondrae Thurman Signature mouthpiece and the Wick 4AL with the K&G 3.5D mouthpiece. Just for reference the specs on these three mouthpieces:

Wick 4AL: Diameter: 26.00 mm, Rim Width: 6.72 mm, Bore: 7.38 mm
    Warburton: Diameter: 26.16 mm, Rim Width: 7.50 mm, Bore: 7.37 mm
    K&G 3.5D: Diameter: 26.40 mm, Rim Width: ??* Bore: ??*

* - K&G says medium wide rim and no information on bore

The Wick vs Warburton video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hau0bWfJhCY

The Wick vs K&G 3.5D video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSmWlGcBZl4

The cup of the Warburton is larger than the Wick for sure. With my old ears, it is hard to hear clear distinctions in sound with these three pieces. Danny Boy seems to allow me to hear subtle differences better than the other two excerpts. But I will let you judge. I did the best I could to get a good sounding recording.

Edit: I added the K&G 3.5D vs Warburton video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCAoREm5wcI
    Last edited by John Morgan; 08-08-2020, 10:13 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)
  • Shawn
    • May 2020

Good stuff.
    It's the Warburton for me.

Comment

• EuphMan84
      • Jul 2020

Both the K&G & Warburton produced a warmer darker tone than the Wick 4AL.
      I'd be curious to hear the K&G vs the Warburton in the same video.

Comment

• John Morgan
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by EuphMan84 View Post
        Both the K&G & Warburton produced a warmer darker tone than the Wick 4AL.
        I'd be curious to hear the K&G vs the Warburton in the same video.
        Coming right up. Give me a little bit to get it done. I will post the K&G vs Warburton in my original post and here, too.

Here is the requested video (K&G 3.5D vs Warburton): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCAoREm5wcI
        Last edited by John Morgan; 08-08-2020, 10:14 PM.
        John Morgan
        Summer Only:

Comment

• Beef
          • Mar 2019

Nice overtones Mr.Morgan! Honestly it sounds like the K&G 3.5D produces higher overtones and the Warburton seems to be the opposite producing lower overtones, it has to be the K&G 3.5D for me this round.

Comment

• John Morgan
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Beef View Post
            Nice overtones Mr.Morgan! Honestly it sounds like the K&G 3.5D produces higher overtones and the Warburton seems to be the opposite producing lower overtones, it has to be the K&G 3.5D for me this round.
            The K&G and Warburton seem pretty similar to me when I listen live as I play. I still can't quite capture on video what I think I am hearing live, but it is getting closer. You might be hearing (with your good ears) some subtle nuances in the recording that these old ears of mine can't quite hear.
            John Morgan
            Summer Only:

Comment

• Magikarp
              • Jul 2020

To my ears the 4AL is preferable, in terms of uniformity of sound and also intonation.

I would very like to hear something with some low register work to see if my opinion is properly verifiable.
              Nowt

Retired

Comment

• John Morgan
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Magikarp View Post
                To my ears the 4AL is preferable, in terms of uniformity of sound and also intonation.

I would very like to hear something with some low register work to see if my opinion is properly verifiable.
                Okey-dokey. Here is a comparison of the Wick 4AL mouthpiece and the Demondrae Warburton mouthpiece. The tune is "Old Man River" and it covers some of the lower register notes on the euphonium.

The video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5djv9s662Lg
                John Morgan
                Summer Only:

Comment

• Magikarp
                  • Jul 2020

I stand by my initial opinion. The 4AL produces a more focused, uniform sound to my ears.

It's a pity the euphonium doesn't play in that register more often. I'd much rather hear sonorous bottom Gs than squealed super As or whatever the current vogue high note is.
                  Nowt

Retired

Comment

• DutchEupho
                    • Apr 2006

The Warburton sounds best to my ears. Just a hint more warmth in the tone.
                    I believe that the Warburton excels especially in the high(er) register.
                    Perhaps a comparison in that range to add to the discussion?

Use the Warburton on an E3 myself. (Exact same combo as John). Difference is sound seem subtile in these videos in playability they feel big to me. Vastly prefer the feel and high range access of the Warburton....

Nice videos John!

Did some recordings with a Warburton and a 4AL too. However not in a controlled environment (same mic placement).
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCln...LDvSFBl-57zebw

like the euph sound on “Gabriella’s song” and “Das Lied vom Tod” (2.08) best. Those are on the Warburton. “Benedictus” is recorded on a 4AL.
                    Last edited by DutchEupho; 11-12-2023, 03:52 PM.
                    Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
                    Trombone: Benge 175F

Comment

• John Morgan
                      • Apr 2014

Nice videos Tim. I prefer the Warburton as well. I have been on that mouthpiece for about 6 years now. The 4AL is nice also, but I guess I like the little darker, warmer sound of the Warburton.

I will do another video shortly playing in the upper register with the 4AL and Warburton.
                      John Morgan
                      Summer Only:

Comment

• guidocorona
                        • Jun 2018

Hello John, thank you so much for the Old Man River video!

I have been listening to it and its predecessor clip through my HP ZBook G1 computer and a good Plantronic USB headset.

In your original clip, it was a bit difficult for me to tell the 4AL and the Demondrae apart. Different story in the Old Man River clip....

4AL delivers the hallmark Wick tone, consistent with what I have also experienced on Wick MPs for flugel... Eminently musical and consistent across the range... Admittedly, 4AL is also the MP that I use on my Wessex Festivo, where in those rare moments when I manage a good tone, I sink into the sound and the World around me disappears. so... Yes, I do love it!

The Demondrae on the other hand may be yielding a greater exposure/revelation of inner harmonics, which by contrast in the 4AL seem more blended into the overall tone. As a result, in Demondrae I seem to be hearing an intriguing deeper fundamental, as well as shimmer of higher overtones.

I should connect my computer to my stereo, so to hear a more complete rendering of the two MPs.

Saluti, Guido
                        M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
                        Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
                        Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

• John Morgan
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by guidocorona View Post
                          Hello John, thank you so much for the Old Man River video!

I have been listening to it and its predecessor clip through my HP ZBook G1 computer and a good Plantronic USB headset.

In your original clip, it was a bit difficult for me to tell the 4AL and the Demondrae apart. Different story in the Old Man River clip....

4AL delivers the hallmark Wick tone, consistent with what I have also experienced on Wick MPs for flugel... Eminently musical and consistent across the range... Admittedly, 4AL is also the MP that I use on my Wessex Festivo, where in those rare moments when I manage a good tone, I sink into the sound and the World around me disappears. so... Yes, I do love it!

The Demondrae on the other hand may be yielding a greater exposure/revelation of inner harmonics, which by contrast in the 4AL seem more blended into the overall tone. As a result, in Demondrae I seem to be hearing an intriguing deeper fundamental, as well as shimmer of higher overtones.

I should connect my computer to my stereo, so to hear a more complete rendering of the two MPs.

Saluti, Guido
                          Thanks, Guido. I still am not totally satisfied with the recording setup and results I get. The sound is a little off from what I hear when playing. It is a little "foghornish" sounding to me. It seems to have a metal like edge to it that I don't hear live when playing. This could be just the speakers I use with my computer. They are ho-hum, middle of the road speakers. But as I venture into the world of recording, I will surely get better at doing this.

Your comments are interesting.
                          John Morgan
                          Summer Only:

Comment

Working...
                          X