Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wick 4AL - Demondrae Warburton - K&G 3.5D Comparisons - Videos

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Nice videos Tim. I prefer the Warburton as well. I have been on that mouthpiece for about 6 years now. The 4AL is nice also, but I guess I like the little darker, warmer sound of the Warburton.

I will do another video shortly playing in the upper register with the 4AL and Warburton.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Hello John, thank you so much for the Old Man River video!

I have been listening to it and its predecessor clip through my HP ZBook G1 computer and a good Plantronic USB headset.

In your original clip, it was a bit difficult for me to tell the 4AL and the Demondrae apart. Different story in the Old Man River clip....

4AL delivers the hallmark Wick tone, consistent with what I have also experienced on Wick MPs for flugel... Eminently musical and consistent across the range... Admittedly, 4AL is also the MP that I use on my Wessex Festivo, where in those rare moments when I manage a good tone, I sink into the sound and the World around me disappears. so... Yes, I do love it!

The Demondrae on the other hand may be yielding a greater exposure/revelation of inner harmonics, which by contrast in the 4AL seem more blended into the overall tone. As a result, in Demondrae I seem to be hearing an intriguing deeper fundamental, as well as shimmer of higher overtones.

I should connect my computer to my stereo, so to hear a more complete rendering of the two MPs.

Saluti, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hello John, thank you so much for the Old Man River video!

I have been listening to it and its predecessor clip through my HP ZBook G1 computer and a good Plantronic USB headset.

In your original clip, it was a bit difficult for me to tell the 4AL and the Demondrae apart. Different story in the Old Man River clip....

4AL delivers the hallmark Wick tone, consistent with what I have also experienced on Wick MPs for flugel... Eminently musical and consistent across the range... Admittedly, 4AL is also the MP that I use on my Wessex Festivo, where in those rare moments when I manage a good tone, I sink into the sound and the World around me disappears. so... Yes, I do love it!

The Demondrae on the other hand may be yielding a greater exposure/revelation of inner harmonics, which by contrast in the 4AL seem more blended into the overall tone. As a result, in Demondrae I seem to be hearing an intriguing deeper fundamental, as well as shimmer of higher overtones.

I should connect my computer to my stereo, so to hear a more complete rendering of the two MPs.

Saluti, Guido
    Thanks, Guido. I still am not totally satisfied with the recording setup and results I get. The sound is a little off from what I hear when playing. It is a little "foghornish" sounding to me. It seems to have a metal like edge to it that I don't hear live when playing. This could be just the speakers I use with my computer. They are ho-hum, middle of the road speakers. But as I venture into the world of recording, I will surely get better at doing this.

Your comments are interesting.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12