Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 Mouthpiece Comparisons - Video

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

5 Mouthpiece Comparisons - Video

I did this for quick comparison only. In each video only 2 mouthpieces are used, one of which is my own 4AL. This is to give you an idea of the way mouthpieces can change tone color. There are 3 short excerpts, each one played back to back on the 2 mouthpieces. Covered are Schikle 51D, Bach 5G, Wick 4BL, Wick 3AL, and Bach 6-1/2AL:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...9KJ0sFNI5jjEo_
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Listened to the 4AL v %1D. For the Brisk Young Sailor, I preferred the 4AL. For Danny Boy, I preferred the 51D, and for Fairest, it was a toss up.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    Listened to the 4AL v %1D. For the Brisk Young Sailor, I preferred the 4AL. For Danny Boy, I preferred the 51D, and for Fairest, it was a toss up.

Mike
    Proving once again that it is hard to find one mouthpiece or one horn that does EVERYTHING the best!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

I watched the Wick 4AL vs Wick 3AL and enjoyed it. The comparison you use is a great idea. In my mind the Wick 3AL gave a little bit deeper, richer tone. However, that may be due to my preference for larger mouthpieces. Either way thank you for the videos as I found it informative.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgeman View Post
    I watched the Wick 4AL vs Wick 3AL and enjoyed it. The comparison you use is a great idea. In my mind the Wick 3AL gave a little bit deeper, richer tone. However, that may be due to my preference for larger mouthpieces. Either way thank you for the videos as I found it informative.
    I agree with your assessment. But I would surely struggle with the 3AL for a lot of euphonium solos.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Thanks for posting this. There are differences in tone on each mouthpiece, but not much (or not as much as one would expect). Your sound carries through! As a matter of curiosity, were the 51D and 3AL your least favorite?

In addition to tonal colors, it seemed that articulations were easier on some mouthpieces.

Thanks again, these videos are great!

Robert Pendergast, DM

Quote Originally Posted by euphisto View Post
    Thanks for posting this. There are differences in tone on each mouthpiece, but not much (or not as much as one would expect). Your sound carries through! As a matter of curiosity, were the 51D and 3AL your least favorite?

In addition to tonal colors, it seemed that articulations were easier on some mouthpieces.

Thanks again, these videos are great!

Robert Pendergast, DM
    Thanks! The 51D and 3AL are the only mouthpieces I didn't play for any extended period, so perhaps I sounded less comfortable. Of those 2, it's hard to pick a winner. For practical reasons, and considering my age, if I had to choose between then I'd go for the 51D. The 3AL really gets airy up high and loses too much center.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Thanks for starting this thread Dave! I have really been enjoying those videos you've been sharing and had been meaning to post about them. It was really helpful for me to hear these comparisons as I work through my own personal changes from 3AL/DE105 to ultimately something more in the 51D or 4AL range.

I agree with what has been said by you and others in this thread that different mouthpieces seemed to suit different excerpts. I love your point about it being hard to find one mouthpiece or horn that does everything the best.

It is also interesting how subjective it is for the listener. After giving the 4AL/51D video several listens my preferences were a tie on Brisk Young Sailer, 4AL on Danny Boy, and 51D on Fairest of the Fair, which is pretty different from mbrooke's preferences.

9. Useful set of comparisons, and well chosen passages of just the right length (so I remember Option 1 while hearing Option 2).
    Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Useful set of comparisons, and well chosen passages of just the right length (so I remember Option 1 while hearing Option 2).
    Thanks very much.
    I especially appreciate this comment, because that was my very thought as I made these (and it's a heck of a lot more work to split/pair them like this!). I know my own audio memory is not very long.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast