Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BessonRocks
    • Oct 2020

I have a JP-374ST and use mead light springs. After cleaning my instrument I have found that the springs vibrate while playing. The diameter of the spring is too small and is not seating but sitting on top. I've tried putting tuba springs in but they are too big. What size springs are in this instrument?

Comment

• ChristianeSparkle
      • Jun 2018

Have you unscrew your vales, take it halfway out of the valve and put it back in? That's to try and re-seat the springs. Mead springs will not sit as nicely on the JP line since Mead springs are tapered while the bottom of the JP has a raised part in the middle. But if seated properly, it shouldn't vibrate. I personally used Mead light springs on my JP274 without much issues. I've experienced said vibration before and re-seating the springs properly fixed it for me
      "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
      Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
      https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• BessonRocks
        • Oct 2020

Hi! I'll try to unscrew them halfway and place them back in. Do you happen to know what size springs the jp uses?

Comment

• RickF
          • Jan 2006

See Dave Werden's helpful video tip on reseating a noisy valve spring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlVYigd52-o
          Rick Floyd
          Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
          Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
          The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
          Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• leisesturm
            • Aug 2018

I'm pretty sure that there isn't too much variation (any?) between brands of Euphonium springs with respect to their overall diameter. They are, for all practical purposes, interchangeable. Tuba springs (as you found out) cannot be used in Euphoniums. But between different Tuba models, most anything sold as a 'Tuba Spring' is going to work. That said, I have found that since the JP line is 'bottom sprung', if the spring vibrates, unscrewing the bottom cap several turns and/or taking the bottom cap off completely and re-seating the spring before tightening it again will almost always cure buzzing. But the sure fire fix (that I haven't tried) is plastic coated valve springs (Yamaha?).
            John Packer JP274 MKII S

Comment

Working...
            X