Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: Adams E3 with short throw valves

Thumbs up FS: Adams E3 with short throw valves

For sale:

Adams E3 with custom short throw valve set.

I ordered this horn after speaking with Miel Adams about an issue I was having with my right hand that was preventing me from playing my standard E3. I had previously played the short throw prototype, and based on that instrument, decided to move forward.

Ordered through Austin Custom Brass.

I have subsequently treated the injury and no longer need the ultra short throw valves.

This horn is in excellent condition, includes the Bonna Case, and would cost well over 10k if the custom valve block is still available. This would be great for anyone that has arthritis, tendonitis, or simply wants "turbo mode" on their right hand.

Asking $7,500.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adams1.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	364.8 KB 
ID:	7835

Name:	adams2.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	608.7 KB 
ID:	7836

Name:	adams3.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	715.8 KB 
ID:	7837
    Last edited by John Morgan; 02-18-2022 at 12:11 PM.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Ha! I love the "turbo mode" concept! This is a pretty unique offer - I hope it find a good home!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Mike, you sold your standard valve E3 as well. What are you going to do now? AFAIK, you and I have the only short throw ones in the US (perhaps anywhere else as well!)

Doug
    Last edited by daruby; 07-27-2020 at 11:24 PM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Hi Doug,

I haven’t decided. In the short term, I have a couple horns on loan from friends/colleagues.

Truthfully, if this horn doesn’t sell at the asking price, I’ll likely hang onto it. It’s too unique to let go easily!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Mike, you sold your standard valve E3 as well. What are you going to do now? AFAIK, you and I have the only short throw ones in the US (perhaps anywhere else as well!)

Doug
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

As the person who bought Mike's other E3 I can definitely say he is a world class seller. The horn shipped on time, with GREAT packaging and survived the cross country trip without a scratch. You will be buying from someone who knows how to pack a horn and that is rare!
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Thanks Jake!

Quote Originally Posted by JakeGuilbo View Post
    As the person who bought Mike's other E3 I can definitely say he is a world class seller. The horn shipped on time, with GREAT packaging and survived the cross country trip without a scratch. You will be buying from someone who knows how to pack a horn and that is rare!
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Bump!
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    AFAIK, you and I have the only short throw ones in the US (perhaps anywhere else as well!)

Doug
    Fascinating! It looks like the short throw is achieved by narrowing the offset between valve ports (including reversing the 2nd valve slide).
    It seems to me that this would be to a player's advantage.
    Other than valve throw, does this affect other playing qualities?
    Why isn't it a standard configuration?
    Cost?
    Reliability?
    Ruggedness?

Quote Originally Posted by tokuno View Post
    Fascinating! It looks like the short throw is achieved by narrowing the offset between valve ports (including reversing the 2nd valve slide).
    It seems to me that this would be to a player's advantage.
    Other than valve throw, does this affect other playing qualities?
    The shorter throw is also due to making some of the valve ports oval (so they are not as tall, but still have the same area). In theory this could affect response somewhat. I found that the prototype did not feel quite as free as my standard E3, but it was a small difference. If you were used to a different brand you probably would not be bothered and might still find the Adams to have better response.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Excellent point, Dave. Playing this horn against the E3 of an identical configuration I owned (with "normal" valves), this horn did feel a bit "tighter" than the standard E3. I realize that is an ambiguous term, but it's all subjective. That said, the tightness can be adjusted somewhat using the AGR. I wouldn't characterize the response of the short throw horn as worse, but I would characterize it as slightly different.

As Dave inducated, if you weren't playing another E3 back to back, you may or may not even notice.

I believe this isn't a standard configuration because there isn't a lot of demand, and the build is somewhat more difficult. To get a definitive answer, you'd have to ask Miel!

I will say again that this horn was an absolute godsend for my injured right hand, and I didn't purchase this simply for "turbo mode", but boy are the valves fast!

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    The shorter throw is also due to making some of the valve ports oval (so they are not as tall, but still have the same area). In theory this could affect response somewhat. I found that the prototype did not feel quite as free as my standard E3, but it was a small difference. If you were used to a different brand you probably would not be bothered and might still find the Adams to have better response.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast