X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daruby
    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by John Morgan View Post
    So Doug, I blew on your horn, hope you can forgive me!! I tried not to yuck it up too much. But those valves were indeed something special. Kind of like back to playing trumpet with light, short and quick valves.
    John, the fact that my horn was a prototype and had been "around the farm" at conferences and trade shows prior to making it to Austin Custom Brass made the deal that Miel and Trent offered me all the more attractive. I have not regretted a moment of ownership of this fine playing instrument. It does EXACTLY what I want it to do. The only problem is that I have two wonderful custom instruments, both of which I love to play, and I cannot stand the thought of getting rid of either.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Comment

• John Morgan
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by daruby View Post
      John, the fact that my horn was a prototype and had been "around the farm" at conferences and trade shows prior to making it to Austin Custom Brass made the deal that Miel and Trent offered me all the more attractive. I have not regretted a moment of ownership of this fine playing instrument. It does EXACTLY what I want it to do. The only problem is that I have two wonderful custom instruments, both of which I love to play, and I cannot stand the thought of getting rid of either.

Doug
      So don't get rid of either!! I love my Adams E3, and I also love my 1956 Boosey & Hawkes Imperial, so I do not plan to part with either. Throw in the Wessex Dolce that I own, that's three euphoniums I don't plan to part with, at least while I am breathing. Plus two trombones**, a tuba, a piano (Disklavier), a tenor recorder, Taylor guitar, ukulele and a partridge in a pear tree. I love instruments, a real weakness of mine, but beats some other things I would rather not think about.

** I forgot my pBone! I actually use this for parades and things like that. So make it three trombones.
      John Morgan
      The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
      Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
      1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
      Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
      Year Round Except Summer:
      Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
      KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
      Summer Only:
      Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
      Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• daruby
        • Apr 2006

So don't get rid of either!!
        John,

I never owned a partridge in a pear tree, but at one point not so long ago, I had a Besson 2051 euph, my Sterling Virtuoso, a Holton superbone, a 1928 Beuscher p-shooter trombone, a Couesnon flugelhorn, Bach trumpet, Selmer cornet, Conn 24i/25i Connstellation, Holton doublebell, and used the York 2056 baritone belonging to my brass band. Plus a collection of something like 40 mouthpieces.

Now I am happy with my two euphs and 1 baritone. Peace in the family requires that I promise to maintain a buy one/sell one policy.

Doug

BTW: I do have 3 hardcases, 3 gig bags, and a large collection of spare parts for each of the euphs and the baritone. I have a total of 14 mouthpieces, 9 x large shank and 5 x tenor shank. I have two Wick concert mutes (euph and baritone), and two practice mutes (1 each). So I am still well supplied.
        Concord Band
        Winchendon Winds
        Townsend Military Band

Comment

• John Morgan
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by daruby View Post
          John,

I never owned a partridge in a pear tree, but at one point not so long ago, I had a Besson 2051 euph, my Sterling Virtuoso, a Holton superbone, a 1928 Beuscher p-shooter trombone, a Couesnon flugelhorn, Bach trumpet, Selmer cornet, Conn 24i/25i Connstellation, Holton doublebell, and used the York 2056 baritone belonging to my brass band. Plus a collection of something like 40 mouthpieces.

Now I am happy with my two euphs and 1 baritone. Peace in the family requires that I promise to maintain a buy one/sell one policy.

Doug

BTW: I do have 3 hardcases, 3 gig bags, and a large collection of spare parts for each of the euphs and the baritone. I have a total of 14 mouthpieces, 9 x large shank and 5 x tenor shank. I have two Wick concert mutes (euph and baritone), and two practice mutes (1 each). So I am still well supplied.
          I had to have my name engraved on the Adams (wife request) so that I would never sell or trade it!! My wife has never once said "no" when I was in the instrument buying mood. In fact, one Christmas not too long ago, while owning a very nice Taylor acoustic guitar (which I use now to play duets with a flute lady friend, I once was in a "Kingston Trio" like folk group where I got decent on guitar - many, many moons ago), Linda comes home from Christmas shopping with a guitar (I had been drooling over this very expensive, exquisite Taylor guitar at our local music store in Rapid - a big Taylor vendor), and she told me I needed to take my current guitar back to the store (where I bought it a few years prior) because she had bought me a replacement guitar. Being the obedient husband, I took it back. On Christmas, I got to open the new guitar case and out popped a Taylor 912e beauty. This one is not only the cat's meow, but the cat's bark, growl and everything else. So, moral is, I will probably never downsize my arsenal as long as Linda is around (and as long as I am around, too). Linda was also the big driver on getting the Yamaha Disklavier over 20 years ago. I have a gem (wife) and I know it.
          John Morgan
          Summer Only:

Comment

• carbogast
            • Mar 2006

Sweet! That Taylor 912e; I have a 1972 Yamaha FG 1500 if you're into orchestra model acoustics.
            Last edited by carbogast; 09-15-2020, 09:27 PM.
            Carroll Arbogast
            Piano Technician
            CMA Piano Care

Comment

• daruby
              • Apr 2006

OK, now that we have totally taken Mike Taylor's original For Sale post around the globe and back...Someone out there: BUY MIKE"S GORGEOUS Adams E3!!!!
              Concord Band
              Winchendon Winds
              Townsend Military Band

Comment

• bbocaner
                • May 2009

Originally posted by carbogast View Post
                I have a 1972 Yamaha FG 1500 if you're into orchestra model acoustics.
                Ohh... I'll bet that's amazing. OMs are my favorite, and yamaha was using all brazilian rosewood back then, right?
                --
                Barry

Comment

• John Morgan
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by carbogast View Post
                  Sweet! That Taylor 912e; I have a 1972 Yamaha FG 1500 if you're into orchestra model acoustics.
                  The Yamaha FG 1500 is indeed a great guitar. Brazilian rosewood. And the backs of those guitars are really beautiful. After posting my arsenal of instruments, I broke out the Taylor to play for a while. Nice break from the brass instruments. Now my left hand fingers hurt!!! Guitar players will know.

Sorry for hijacking this post a little. I hope Mike finds a buyer for the great Adams E3 with short throw valves. A great horn, no doubt.
                  John Morgan
                  Summer Only:

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                    • Feb 2016

1) Somebody buy my horn!

2) Any time there's crossover between my euphonium playing community and my guitar playing community, I'm happy. I'm mostly an electric player, but I'm currently lusting after a Taylor 814.

The Yamaha FG 1500 is indeed a great guitar. Brazilian rosewood. And the backs of those guitars are really beautiful. After posting my arsenal of instruments, I broke out the Taylor to play for a while. Nice break from the brass instruments. Now my left hand fingers hurt!!! Guitar players will know.

Sorry for hijacking this post a little. I hope Mike finds a buyer for the great Adams E3 with short throw valves. A great horn, no doubt.
                    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                    Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• carbogast
                      • Mar 2006

Yes, the sides are Brazilian rosewood. I also got it out and hurt my fingers a bit! Should do it more often!
                      Carroll Arbogast
                      Piano Technician
                      CMA Piano Care

Comment

• John Morgan
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by miketeachesclass View Post
                        1) Somebody buy my horn!

2) Any time there's crossover between my euphonium playing community and my guitar playing community, I'm happy. I'm mostly an electric player, but I'm currently lusting after a Taylor 814.
                        The Taylor 814 was what I traded in to get the Taylor 912 (rather what my wife traded for me!). Those are really nice guitars.
                        John Morgan
                        Summer Only:

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                          • Feb 2016

Bump
                          Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                          Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                            • Feb 2016

Bump!
                            Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                            Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                              • Feb 2016

Bump - This configuration is about 9,800 new, and that doesn't include the custom valves. This is a pretty good deal, if I do say so myself!
                              Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                              Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                                • Feb 2016

Pending.
                                Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                                Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

Working...