Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FS: Adams E3 with short throw valves

1. I will say that the main advantage of the top sprung, short throw valves is the agility. I am approaching age 70 and have recovered from two broken fingers and three trigger fingers (two of which required surgery) on my right hand 1-2-3 fingers and thumb in just the last 5 years. Thus the light and short action of the valves makes it ideal for me. The light weight of my horn (yellow brass and no trigger) also makes it very comfortable.

In discussions with Miel Adams when I purchased the prototype, the major issue was cost. As a rough number, he threw out an incremental $1000(ish) over the cost of an E3 with the standard Bauerfeind valves. At that time, he had built up 5 sets of these valves, only one of which had made it into a saleable horn. However, these were not just one-off prototypes. Adams invested in the tooling required to make it a production item.

Another disadvantage (to a lesser extent) is a minor change in geometry of the horn overall. The length of the top sprung valves and position of the valve slides requires that the body of the horn be just slightly longer than a standard E3. This affects fitment into the Marcus Bonna case and requires a slight change in the length of the lead pipe vs. the length of the tuning slide loop (required removing 1.5 cm. from each of my tuning legs). All of this would mean it is not a straight plug into existing tooling, I would think.

I also agree with Dave Werden that the oval ports "might" affect the horn in some respect or other, however I have not been able to notice this. The prototype Dave played is (I think) the horn I currently own. It is a .70 yellow brass horn rather than the .60(?) sterling silver that Dave has. The only one that I know of that can comment on the impact of the short action valves on response/tone/intonation and any other playability is Mike Taylor, since at one time, he had two otherwise identical horns.

I hope this helps.

Doug

P.S. Mike, If I could somehow sell mine to buy yours, I would be very interested. But that is whimsical thinking rather than serious.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    When I played on an Adams with short throw valves at the ITEC at Knoxville in 2016, I am pretty sure that the model of horn with the short valves was an E2. I know Dave spent a fair amount of time at the Adams display, so maybe he can confirm that or not. So, that would seem to make at least three of these short throw valve Adams floating about, assuming that the E2, if I remember right, was sold. I had my E3 to compare the E2 with short valves with, but the E3 wasn't actually with me at the time (traveled to ITEC on my motorcycle). I do remember liking the E2 horn, but it was different from my E3, probably more the horn in total than the valves. I could zoom with those valves which was pretty cool. I wouldn't mind having short valves on my E3, but alas, it is not to be.

Come to think about it, 5 minutes later, maybe it was an E3 with the short valves and I just played the E2 (I am certain I did play an E2, but thought it had the short valves). Dave, set me straight please.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

John,

I’m reasonably confident that the horn you would have seen with short throw valves would have been the E3 Prototype that is now in Doug’s possession. That makes the most sense in the context of when I trialed the prototype and Doug purchased it a few months later.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    When I played on an Adams with short throw valves at the ITEC at Knoxville in 2016, I am pretty sure that the model of horn with the short valves was an E2. I know Dave spent a fair amount of time at the Adams display, so maybe he can confirm that or not. So, that would seem to make at least three of these short throw valve Adams floating about, assuming that the E2, if I remember right, was sold. I had my E3 to compare the E2 with short valves with, but the E3 wasn't actually with me at the time (traveled to ITEC on my motorcycle). I do remember liking the E2 horn, but it was different from my E3, probably more the horn in total than the valves. I could zoom with those valves which was pretty cool. I wouldn't mind having short valves on my E3, but alas, it is not to be.

Come to think about it, 5 minutes later, maybe it was an E3 with the short valves and I just played the E2 (I am certain I did play an E2, but thought it had the short valves). Dave, set me straight please.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

4. I purchased the horn on March 22, 2017 at Austin Custom Brass. The horn had travelled around to conferences and shows for awhile. I selected it because it was the only E3 in stock that sounded better than the modified Sovereign 967 I brought to the Adams Day showing that day. All of the other E3s were .55 or .60 silver plated yellow brass.

So I have owned it almost exactly 3 1/2 years. So, Mike, your assessment sounds about right.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Okay, Mike and Doug, I stand corrected, or rather I sit corrected as I type this. So Doug, I blew on your horn, hope you can forgive me!! I tried not to yuck it up too much. But those valves were indeed something special. Kind of like back to playing trumpet with light, short and quick valves.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

6. Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    So Doug, I blew on your horn, hope you can forgive me!! I tried not to yuck it up too much. But those valves were indeed something special. Kind of like back to playing trumpet with light, short and quick valves.
    John, the fact that my horn was a prototype and had been "around the farm" at conferences and trade shows prior to making it to Austin Custom Brass made the deal that Miel and Trent offered me all the more attractive. I have not regretted a moment of ownership of this fine playing instrument. It does EXACTLY what I want it to do. The only problem is that I have two wonderful custom instruments, both of which I love to play, and I cannot stand the thought of getting rid of either.

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    John, the fact that my horn was a prototype and had been "around the farm" at conferences and trade shows prior to making it to Austin Custom Brass made the deal that Miel and Trent offered me all the more attractive. I have not regretted a moment of ownership of this fine playing instrument. It does EXACTLY what I want it to do. The only problem is that I have two wonderful custom instruments, both of which I love to play, and I cannot stand the thought of getting rid of either.

Doug
    So don't get rid of either!! I love my Adams E3, and I also love my 1956 Boosey & Hawkes Imperial, so I do not plan to part with either. Throw in the Wessex Dolce that I own, that's three euphoniums I don't plan to part with, at least while I am breathing. Plus two trombones**, a tuba, a piano (Disklavier), a tenor recorder, Taylor guitar, ukulele and a partridge in a pear tree. I love instruments, a real weakness of mine, but beats some other things I would rather not think about.

** I forgot my pBone! I actually use this for parades and things like that. So make it three trombones.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

8. Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    So don't get rid of either!!
    John,

I never owned a partridge in a pear tree, but at one point not so long ago, I had a Besson 2051 euph, my Sterling Virtuoso, a Holton superbone, a 1928 Beuscher p-shooter trombone, a Couesnon flugelhorn, Bach trumpet, Selmer cornet, Conn 24i/25i Connstellation, Holton doublebell, and used the York 2056 baritone belonging to my brass band. Plus a collection of something like 40 mouthpieces.

Now I am happy with my two euphs and 1 baritone. Peace in the family requires that I promise to maintain a buy one/sell one policy.

Doug

BTW: I do have 3 hardcases, 3 gig bags, and a large collection of spare parts for each of the euphs and the baritone. I have a total of 14 mouthpieces, 9 x large shank and 5 x tenor shank. I have two Wick concert mutes (euph and baritone), and two practice mutes (1 each). So I am still well supplied.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    John,

I never owned a partridge in a pear tree, but at one point not so long ago, I had a Besson 2051 euph, my Sterling Virtuoso, a Holton superbone, a 1928 Beuscher p-shooter trombone, a Couesnon flugelhorn, Bach trumpet, Selmer cornet, Conn 24i/25i Connstellation, Holton doublebell, and used the York 2056 baritone belonging to my brass band. Plus a collection of something like 40 mouthpieces.

Now I am happy with my two euphs and 1 baritone. Peace in the family requires that I promise to maintain a buy one/sell one policy.

Doug

BTW: I do have 3 hardcases, 3 gig bags, and a large collection of spare parts for each of the euphs and the baritone. I have a total of 14 mouthpieces, 9 x large shank and 5 x tenor shank. I have two Wick concert mutes (euph and baritone), and two practice mutes (1 each). So I am still well supplied.
    I had to have my name engraved on the Adams (wife request) so that I would never sell or trade it!! My wife has never once said "no" when I was in the instrument buying mood. In fact, one Christmas not too long ago, while owning a very nice Taylor acoustic guitar (which I use now to play duets with a flute lady friend, I once was in a "Kingston Trio" like folk group where I got decent on guitar - many, many moons ago), Linda comes home from Christmas shopping with a guitar (I had been drooling over this very expensive, exquisite Taylor guitar at our local music store in Rapid - a big Taylor vendor), and she told me I needed to take my current guitar back to the store (where I bought it a few years prior) because she had bought me a replacement guitar. Being the obedient husband, I took it back. On Christmas, I got to open the new guitar case and out popped a Taylor 912e beauty. This one is not only the cat's meow, but the cat's bark, growl and everything else. So, moral is, I will probably never downsize my arsenal as long as Linda is around (and as long as I am around, too). Linda was also the big driver on getting the Yamaha Disklavier over 20 years ago. I have a gem (wife) and I know it.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Sweet! That Taylor 912e; I have a 1972 Yamaha FG 1500 if you're into orchestra model acoustics.
    Last edited by carbogast; 09-15-2020 at 09:27 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast