Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mack Brass Used York Baritone Horn

Mack Brass Used York Baritone Horn

Hello Everyone,
    I found a used York baritone horn on Mack Brass for $295. It does not appear compensating to me. For three-valve baritones, is compensating superior? If it is, how so? If there isn't that big of a difference, that will be my lifetime baritone if it doesn't play like crap. But, given that it's a York, I have high expectations.

Can we see a photo or link? Antique Yorks would not be compensating but about ten years ago a different York made a compensating baritone.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Toby Simard
    Mack EU1150S - Denis Wick SM2U
    M&M 5 Valve CC Tuba - Helleberg 120S

That York is an antique, made in Grand Rapids, Mi, probably back in the very early 1900's. Not the same firm as the recently defunct one in the UK, if that was your thought.

Not a bad looking horn for the $, tho. It is not a comp horn, just a 3-valve American baritone.

Dennis

You might look at this video for a quick explanation of the compensating advantage:

https://youtu.be/f7vnIEImA6E
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

It doesn't seem like it would make it too stuffy either. I may buy the York, and if I like the sound, I could have it modified.
    Toby Simard

I assumed the same York that made the legendary CSO tubas! Thankfully I was right.
    Toby Simard

Ok, those photos show it to be an American style Euphonium. If that is what you want this might be a good deal.

Not sure how you were thinking when you said you might modify it, but FYI making it into a compensating instrument would not be workable.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

I'm looking for a british style baritone. Figured that's what it was.
    Toby Simard

10. This York American baritone is not equivalent to a British style baritone. It also is unlikely to be attractive as a daily player. Even in a regular wind band.

I sold a 1912 York tenor horn to highpitch a few years ago. The Bb American tenor horn (which pretty much disappeared by WW1) is pretty equivalent to a British baritone. Since my 1912 horn was a low pitch, it actually could have been used in a British brass band in a pinch.

If you want a British style baritone, Mack and Wessex sell 3 valve compensating instruments for a pretty reasonable price.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast