Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mack Brass Used York Baritone Horn

J.W. York and Sons of Grand Rapids Michigan was indeed the company known for the legendary CSO tubas, and many other well-regarded tubas. Nobody really seems to like anything else they made, though.
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    The Black Dyke folks are switching to Geneva, but I have no recent experience yet.
    I don't think anyone over here has tried the new Geneva baritone, but it's NOT compensating! It has a tuning trigger, but no compensating system. Might be OK. I don't think Mike and Ben in Dyke are using them yet - both are Besson players.
    --
    Barry

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    I don't think anyone over here has tried the new Geneva baritone, but it's NOT compensating! It has a tuning trigger, but no compensating system. Might be OK. I don't think Mike and Ben in Dyke are using them yet - both are Besson players.
    The tuning "trigger" on the Geneva is really interesting. It looks sort of like the typical 4th side valve on a 3+1 horn instead of the flat trigger placed in the third valve wrap. I am just trying to imagine using the left hand index finger for the tuning trigger. That might be a more natural thing than using the left hand thumb. I would have to try that to know if I liked it or not. The Geneva sure is a stunning looking instrument.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Looks like a bicycle type cable connecting it to the tuning slide. That certainly is unique!
    --
    Barry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123