Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mack Brass Used York Baritone Horn

I figured that the 4th valve isn't necessary in the slightest since the baritone tends to play up high. I didn't know mack sold one though. The wessex seems like a fine instrument. Is it a besson clone?

Hi Doug,

My S/n digging on the York tenor shows a birthdate of 1915. Not that it matters over 100 years!

Thanks again for it,

Dennis

3. Quote Originally Posted by tobysimard View Post
    I figured that the 4th valve isn't necessary in the slightest since the baritone tends to play up high. I didn't know mack sold one though. The wessex seems like a fine instrument. Is it a besson clone?
    My bad on the Mack reference. The 3 valve Wessex at $795 (lacquer) is a Besson approximation. I have not played one so cannot give you an opinion on how they play.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Toby - Were you thinking of something more resembling this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Professiona...QAAOSwPe1Ty80x ? There are a few Ebay sellers for this particular JinBao horn. And JinBao makes several horns that are stenciled under other popular brand names. I have one and it worked just fine blending with the other Bessons in the brass band I played with. The only drawback that I have found is that the nickle silver does not keep the shine as well as silver plate would.
    - Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

I was thinking about that type of horn, and that's what I assumed the York was. I am not looking for an American style baritone - they are too similar to euphoniums. I want the different tone that the British baritone brings.
    Toby Simard
    Mack EU1150S - Denis Wick SM2U
    M&M 5 Valve CC Tuba - Helleberg 120S

Also, the shine doesn't matter too much. I'm just not sure about 3 vs 4 valves on baritones.
    Toby Simard

It probably plays like a Besson, but just not quite as well. Are 4 valves necessary for a British baritone?
    Toby Simard

8. Quote Originally Posted by tobysimard View Post
    Are 4 valves necessary for a British baritone?
    No. I played a 4-valve York (Besson 956 clone). The 4th valve was mostly useless and made the horn more difficult to play due to weight and poor ergonomics. The only horn with a full compensating 4th valve is the Besson Prestige 2056 and the Wessex 4 valver. Again, weight and ergonomics are not as good as a 3 valver. I play a 3 valve Sterling Virtuoso baritone with a heavy brass bell. That horn and the Yamaha NEO baritone are my favs these days. The Black Dyke folks are switching to Geneva, but I have no recent experience yet.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I'll probably nab the Wessex or the JinBao and eventually upgrade to a Besson. I'll go three valve compensating.
    Toby Simard

Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    Not the same firm as the recently defunct one in the UK
    *Germany - *That* York was a trade name of Keilwerth-Schreiber.
    --
    Barry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast