Some previous arrangements I have done are partly to give people a chance to play fun music when there is no ensemble handy. For example, my settings of Holst 2nd Suite and the Bydlo for euphonium and piano.

I have started doing some marches now, which can give players more exposure to this ever-so-important style. Practicing them alone is one thing, but when you play with a "live" accompaniment, whether a band or a piano, it is an entirely different experience. So that is the music-ed part of this project.

The other part is to give a different option for recital-type performances.

My first two are King Cotton and Fairest of the Fair, both by Sousa. They are both in the publisher's hands now, but not quite out the door. I have two more in my mental queue (well, partially written, actually), but I may not go forward with those if the first two turn out to be lead balloons in the market. We'll see.

FYI, I made King Cotton with an eye on a tiring program, or perhaps as a recital encore, because it has generous rests for the solo. (Fairest of the Fair will be better for fresh chops!)

In the meantime, here is a draft video of King Cotton, which is not yet public on YouTube. The recording was made in a different church with hard acoustics and a tiny piano, so I used close-mic techniques and did my best to make it "normal".

Feedback is welcome! Will this project be worth the effort?

https://youtu.be/2_H4RQ2HgDU