Thread: Melton 4G large shank

Melton 4G large shank

I recently acquired a Melton 4G large shank mouthpiece in a mouthpiece swap with a euphonium player friend of mine.

I am currently using it on a .547" Bach Soloist trombone w/F attachment, and the mouthpiece is fantastic for the upper register and very strong into the pedals. In my large shank tenor mouthpiece larder, I have VB 6½AL, VB 6½A, Kelly 5G and VB 3G. The Melton, for orchestral or a 1 trombone B'dway book, is better all around then any of the others.

My reason for posting is this: I cannot find any specification information on the Melton 4G...none...anywhere! I have written to Buffet-Crampon, Melton/ Meinl-Weston, Baltimore Brass, WWBW, etc. and no one has any info.

Can you help me...please?

Bill

2. I have never encountered a Melton 4G, but I have seen Melton 24AW and 18 tuba mouthpieces. Both of these were copies of their Bach namesakes. I don’t think it unreasonable to assume the Melton 4G is a copy of a Bach 4G. That would mean that the inside diameter would be around 26mm and the throat about .276” (7mm). That puts it in the realm of a Schilke 52 or a Wick 4AL or 4BL.