Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with ID

Help with ID

Hi All,
    I am not sure if I can post more than 1 image per post...I'm gonna try so that this question is all in one post.

1st....is this a baritone horn....it has about 9ft of tubing and is pitched in Bb.

2nd...according to what I see on the Conn Loyalist site, a baritone with 3 top valves, and bell up is a Model 64I.....the bell looks narrower on my horn and does not look like the 64I pictured there. I am confused after looking at hundreds of images.

This horn is about 20 inches long and the bell is 8.25 inches across.

Made in 1942.

Thanks for your help! I'm new at horn IDs !
    Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200721_174354.jpg   20200721_174508.jpg  

2. The model should be on the lead pipe.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

3. Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Bb tenor horn. Essentially the same instrument that would be called a baritone if it were made by Boosey & Hawkes. Rare in american bands by the 1940s, but not unheard of.

My recollection is that these got an "F" letter in the model rather than the "I" you'd see on baritone/euphonium.
    --
    Barry

Thanks! This is helpful. Thr pic by Richard III shows an instrument that is more conical than mine and the amount of bell above the leadpipe is much greater. Different bells different coils different squiggly bits. ?.... makes you crazy! LOL! I'll look at the leadpipe, I may have missed something.

Nothing on the leadpipe.

7. Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

I'd point out that there is one other piece of confusion - the mouthpiece receiver. On your horn it looks about right to accept a trumpet shank (although a trumpet mouthpiece would not have been used for this horn). There was a special mouthpiece made with a small baritone/euphonium cup and a trumpet-size shank. A tenor-trombone size mouthpiece fits in about 1/4 or 3/8", which it what I think I see in the photo.

I had a horn very similar to yours until I gave it away to a church that needed one. The term "tenor horn" in the American context is probably right, and it would be kinda like a slightly smaller version of the British-style baritone horn. It could probably be used in settings where a baritone would be appropriate.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Please excuse my ignorance....i made a discovery this morning....
    Turns out that when comparing my Bb cornet to this horn,

I was playing Do on the cornet......and So on the horn....both notes Bb....i just thought the horn was in Bb....wrong...

That puts this horn in Eb ....

It was a DUH moment for me....in theory, this is an alto/tenor horn depending upon your point of view.

Have Fun,
    Bill

10. This is an alto horn in the American parlance. If it were British, it would be called a tenor horn. The date would make this a Conn 16C. After WW2, the Conn Alto horns were mostly combo Eb/F so that they could play older Eb parts and French Horn parts w/o transposition.

The front valve/bell front Conn 22C alto horn my older brother used in the early 60s for marching band came with a french horn mouthpiece adapter which he used with the shorter F tuning slide.

Doug
    Last edited by daruby; 07-24-2020 at 12:21 PM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast