Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geneva Cardinal Euphonium and Geneva GVL Euphonium

1. Geneva Cardinal Euphonium and Geneva GVL Euphonium

Hello everyone,

Over recent weeks, I have had the privilege of testing quite a number of different brands in the search for a new Euphonium, one brand that I have not tested is the Geneva Cardinal Euphonium and the Geneva GVL Euphonium. I was wondering what the differences between the Geneva Cardinal Euphonium and the Geneva GVL Euphonium were and if anyone had tested these instruments?

This is more a post about satisfying my curiosity more than anything else.

Many Thanks,

Micah Dominic Parsons

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...onium-Testing?

Recalled reading about the comparison. An old thread, but maybe still relevant.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

I was absolutely in love with the sound of the Geneva I briefly had in 2018. It was such a sweet sounding horn and looked amazing. Easy to play, great intonation. Only problem was a buzzing sound coming from main tuning slide/trigger assembly that wasn't audible to bystanders but drove me crazy. Had to return it, unfortunately.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Geneva are now being made in the UK rather than in the Czech Republic, and because of that I think all bets are off with respect to what anyone's previous experience with them might be. Even if the designs and tooling are the same, it's just going to come out different.
    --
    Barry

5. Hello everyone,

Thank you everyone for your response. I shall check out the other thread which I have missed.

Many Thanks,

Micah Dominic Parsons

6. Hello everyone,

On Saturday 3rd October 2020, I had my first opportunity to test The Geneva GVL Euphonium and The Geneva Cardinal Euphonium and I wanted to share some thoughts here.

The first thing that struck me was the difference aesthetic look of both instruments with The Geneva GVL Euphonium having added engraving on the bell of an eagle which is quite intricate apart from this the silver plate is contrasted with the black nickel and rose brass finish which looks quite attractive.

After inspecting the horn, I spent some time looking at the mechanics of the instrument starting with the valves which had a different construction to anything I have seen before with a plastic guide attached to the valve. The valves seemed to work fine and had a positive action. The trigger system had a screw system which reminded me of The Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with a plastic belly plate attached in a similar way to The Besson Prestige Euphonium.

Upon playing both instruments, I was quite surprised by how differently they both played, the sound of each Euphonium was a little on the bright side with The Geneva GVL Euphonium being slightly darker in sound than The Geneva Cardinal Euphonium with this point aside both instruments were very pleasant to play and I enjoyed testing them.

It was an interesting experience to try this relatively new range of instruments which seem to be gaining in popularity within the current market.

I hope that this short post has provided a little more insight into this range of instruments.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

How different were the ergonomics compared to your Besson Prestige? Back in 2015-ish, that was my main gripe with the Genevas, mostly the way the valve cluster was positioned compared to the leadpipe and handrest, and how the angle of the 4th was different.
    Are those more similar to the Besson now, or are they still quite a bit different?
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

8. Hello everyone,

I think the Geneva GVL Euphonium and Geneva Cardinal Euphonium were very similar to The Besson Prestige Euphonium. I found the trigger to be slightly harder to operate but overall the instrument is quite similar to The Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

I really missed the sound of the Cardinal I briefly had. Did you have any issues with build quality? Buzzing noises, etc coming from the trigger assembly?
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

10. Hello everyone,

When testing the Geneva GVL Euphonium and Geneva Cardinal Euphonium, there was a slight buzz but I believe this was more related to the room in which I was testing the instrument in.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast