X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

That was beautifully played!

I've always loved "The Prayer" (music by David Foster) and have played it in church a couple of times and once in front of the band after 9/11. First time with horn (French) and the other time with flugel. The harmonies are perfect IMHO.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• Davidus1
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by daruby View Post
      I would be happy to provide a lifetime supply of New England Brass Band CDs for just $10/each! I am the former treasurer and the current librarian and keep track of all the music and Inventory CDs. We currently have 6 different CDs in stock, including my favorite: Music of New England, recorded in 2017. PM me if you have an interest.

Doug
      I'm interested. I'll send you a Facebook message Doug. Thanks.
      John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
      Yamaha 354 Trombone
      Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• John Morgan
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by RickF View Post
        That was beautifully played!

I've always loved "The Prayer" (music by David Foster) and have played it in church a couple of times and once in front of the band after 9/11. First time with horn (French) and the other time with flugel. The harmonies are perfect IMHO.
        I have done the same, Rick. With a flugelhorn player and another time a trumpet player. Really a nice tune. The video that Doug posted the link to is really nice. I think I am really liking the sound of the tenor horn. I have heard a couple great players lately and really like that horn played well.
        John Morgan
        The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
        Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
        1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
        Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
        Year Round Except Summer:
        Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
        KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
        Summer Only:
        Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
        Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• daruby
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by John Morgan View Post
          I have done the same, Rick. With a flugelhorn player and another time a trumpet player. Really a nice tune. The video that Doug posted the link to is really nice. I think I am really liking the sound of the tenor horn. I have heard a couple great players lately and really like that horn played well.
          John,

I first met Siobhan Bates at the International Brass Band Summer School (IBBSS) in 2013 when she was just just 15. She was quite an outstanding musician then, under the tutelage of Owen Farr. While I have not been back to Wales every summer since then, I go as often as I can. Siobhan was appointed solo tenor horn of Black Dyke at the age of 18, is now 22 and has just graduated from Huddersfield Univ. with a degree in performance. She is an accomplished french horn player, tenor horn virtuoso, and a gymnast! She was winner of the prestigious "Young Brass Award in March of 2019 and is now a Geneva Performing Artist.

IBBSS was canceled this year, but I expect to return in August of 2021 to catch up with my brass band friends from around the world, including Siobhan. For a short bio on Siobhan, see: http://www.blackdykeband.co.uk/people/siobhan-bates

Doug
          Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
          Concord Band
          Winchendon Winds
          Townsend Military Band

Comment

• John Morgan
            • Apr 2014

John,

I first met Siobhan Bates at the International Brass Band Summer School (IBBSS) in 2013 when she was just just 15. She was quite an outstanding musician then, under the tutelage of Owen Farr. While I have not been back to Wales every summer since then, I go as often as I can. Siobhan was appointed solo tenor horn of Black Dyke at the age of 18, is now 22 and has just graduated from Huddersfield Univ. with a degree in performance. She is an accomplished french horn player, tenor horn virtuoso, and a gymnast! She was winner of the prestigious "Young Brass Award in March of 2019 and is now a Geneva Performing Artist.

IBBSS was canceled this year, but I expect to return in August of 2021 to catch up with my brass band friends from around the world, including Siobhan. For a short bio on Siobhan, see: http://www.blackdykeband.co.uk/people/siobhan-bates

Doug
            Thanks a bunch for the background, Doug!! Siobhan is indeed very special. I envy you in your trips to Wales in the summer for IBBSS. I just might join you yet, if I live long enough, can still play, and have enough dollars to bring my wife along. I have been to Wales once when working at H-P, and twice to England. But, never time enough to really look around. My younger brother, Jack, has done family tree stuff, and we can trace our roots on my father's side straight to Wales. We even know the town where our great (can't remember which variety of great) grandparents lived. Maybe some day....
            John Morgan
            The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
            Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
            1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
            Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
            Year Round Except Summer:
            Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
            KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
            Summer Only:
            Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
            Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• ChristianeSparkle
              • Jun 2018

I would be happy to provide a lifetime supply of New England Brass Band CDs for just $10/each! I am the former treasurer and the current librarian and keep track of all the music and Inventory CDs. We currently have 6 different CDs in stock, including my favorite: Music of New England, recorded in 2017. PM me if you have an interest.

Doug
              Would you consider shipping overseas too? I would definitely love to nab some brass band CDs considering how rare it is over here! (Or is there an online version that I can purchase from? )

I've definitely been enamoured with the tenor horn lately!

Thank you!
              "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
              Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
              https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• Davidus1
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by ChristianeSparkle View Post
                Would you consider shipping overseas too? I would definitely love to nab some brass band CDs considering how rare it is over here! (Or is there an online version that I can purchase from? )

I've definitely been enamoured with the tenor horn lately!

Thank you!
                The same here about the tenor horn. What a beautiful sound it gets!
                John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
                Yamaha 354 Trombone
                Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• daruby
                  • Apr 2006

I would happily ship overseas. PM me and I can follow up with you (as I have already with David).
                  Concord Band
                  Winchendon Winds
                  Townsend Military Band

Comment

• vegastokc
                    • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Davidus1 View Post
                    Hope I'm placing this in the right place. What are the differences in a tenor horn vs a baritone horn? ...
                    Since no one else has mentioned it, I guess I will offer the obligatory reference to Trent Hamilton on YouTube.
                    He has several short videos describing and comparing various British Brass Band type instruments.
                    My awareness of BBB is fairly new so I have been binging some on YouTube.
                    Love the older ones featuring Mr. Mead (with hair. )

Comment

• daruby
                      • Apr 2006

Hi all,

I have received several PMs regarding the New England Brass Band CDs. We have 6 of them dating back to 1999. Our most recent CD, "Music of New England" is also available on iTunes at: https://music.apple.com/us/album/mus...and/1445616824

I am attaching a review published in the November 2018 issue of the British Bandsman as well.
                      Attached Files
                      Concord Band
                      Winchendon Winds
                      Townsend Military Band

Comment

Working...
                      X