Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brass Bands for the uninformed

1. Ok...hot off the presses! Just posted today. A beautiful duet between Gary Perrin (flugelhorn) and Siobhan Bates (tenor horn) of The Prayer. Both are recent grads from Huddersfield Univ. (in Yorkshire). Siobhan is the solo tenor horn player in Black Dyke. This is an interesting combination since Siobhan is playing the top of the duet in her upper tessitura and Gary is playing the flugelhorn in his mid range. Just note that in the brass band, the "horn section" includes the flugelhorn, solo, 1st, and 2nd tenor horns. The euphoniums are "cellos" and tenor soloists, whilst the baritones are "tweeners" used in a "horn" role, balancing euphs, trombones, and sometimes the 1st baritone does octaves with the solo cornets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnm9...YXHsGIrvDZYURw
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I have found that, in general, euphonium/baritone players who double on Eb tenor horn sound better than cornet/trumpet players who double on Eb tenor horn. Something about the embouchure or airflow...
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Ok...hot off the presses! Just posted today. A beautiful duet between Gary Perrin (flugelhorn) and Siobhan Bates (tenor horn) of The Prayer. Both are recent grads from Huddersfield Univ. (in Yorkshire). Siobhan is the solo tenor horn player in Black Dyke. This is an interesting combination since Siobhan is playing the top of the duet in her upper tessitura and Gary is playing the flugelhorn in his mid range. Just note that in the brass band, the "horn section" includes the flugelhorn, solo, 1st, and 2nd tenor horns. The euphoniums are "cellos" and tenor soloists, whilst the baritones are "tweeners" used in a "horn" role, balancing euphs, trombones, and sometimes the 1st baritone does octaves with the solo cornets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnm9...YXHsGIrvDZYURw
    Thank you! Very much like the tune but also the explanation on voicings of the instruments. I'm an experienced player but no brass band experience to speak of. I have several CDs but would like to find a source for others. Amazon and eBay have Black Dyke and Philip Jones CDs but not much from Cory, Flowers, Radstrick, etc. Thank you for sharing.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

4. Quote Originally Posted by Davidus1 View Post
    Thank you! Very much like the tune but also the explanation on voicings of the instruments. I'm an experienced player but no brass band experience to speak of. I have several CDs but would like to find a source for others. Amazon and eBay have Black Dyke and Philip Jones CDs but not much from Cory, Flowers, Radstrick, etc. Thank you for sharing.
    I would be happy to provide a lifetime supply of New England Brass Band CDs for just $10/each! I am the former treasurer and the current librarian and keep track of all the music and Inventory CDs. We currently have 6 different CDs in stock, including my favorite: Music of New England, recorded in 2017. PM me if you have an interest.

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

5. Barry,

The NEBB's solo tenor, Steven Heldt, is a fine trumpet/cornet player. However, in 2018 he decided to take on tenor horn, bought a Wick 2 and started playing a late 1970s Sovereign 950 owned by the band. He also spent a summer listening to Sheona White, Owen Farr, and a few other tenor horn players. In his first full year on the horn, he won the top "Tenor Horn Technical" medal at the 2019 NABBA. He has mastered the beautiful sound and matched it with his cornet inspired technical skills. We are pleased to have him in the band.

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

That was beautifully played!

I've always loved "The Prayer" (music by David Foster) and have played it in church a couple of times and once in front of the band after 9/11. First time with horn (French) and the other time with flugel. The harmonies are perfect IMHO.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I would be happy to provide a lifetime supply of New England Brass Band CDs for just $10/each! I am the former treasurer and the current librarian and keep track of all the music and Inventory CDs. We currently have 6 different CDs in stock, including my favorite: Music of New England, recorded in 2017. PM me if you have an interest.

Doug
    I'm interested. I'll send you a Facebook message Doug. Thanks.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    That was beautifully played!

I've always loved "The Prayer" (music by David Foster) and have played it in church a couple of times and once in front of the band after 9/11. First time with horn (French) and the other time with flugel. The harmonies are perfect IMHO.
    I have done the same, Rick. With a flugelhorn player and another time a trumpet player. Really a nice tune. The video that Doug posted the link to is really nice. I think I am really liking the sound of the tenor horn. I have heard a couple great players lately and really like that horn played well.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

9. Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    I have done the same, Rick. With a flugelhorn player and another time a trumpet player. Really a nice tune. The video that Doug posted the link to is really nice. I think I am really liking the sound of the tenor horn. I have heard a couple great players lately and really like that horn played well.
    John,

I first met Siobhan Bates at the International Brass Band Summer School (IBBSS) in 2013 when she was just just 15. She was quite an outstanding musician then, under the tutelage of Owen Farr. While I have not been back to Wales every summer since then, I go as often as I can. Siobhan was appointed solo tenor horn of Black Dyke at the age of 18, is now 22 and has just graduated from Huddersfield Univ. with a degree in performance. She is an accomplished french horn player, tenor horn virtuoso, and a gymnast! She was winner of the prestigious "Young Brass Award in March of 2019 and is now a Geneva Performing Artist.

IBBSS was canceled this year, but I expect to return in August of 2021 to catch up with my brass band friends from around the world, including Siobhan. For a short bio on Siobhan, see: http://www.blackdykeband.co.uk/people/siobhan-bates

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    John,

I first met Siobhan Bates at the International Brass Band Summer School (IBBSS) in 2013 when she was just just 15. She was quite an outstanding musician then, under the tutelage of Owen Farr. While I have not been back to Wales every summer since then, I go as often as I can. Siobhan was appointed solo tenor horn of Black Dyke at the age of 18, is now 22 and has just graduated from Huddersfield Univ. with a degree in performance. She is an accomplished french horn player, tenor horn virtuoso, and a gymnast! She was winner of the prestigious "Young Brass Award in March of 2019 and is now a Geneva Performing Artist.

IBBSS was canceled this year, but I expect to return in August of 2021 to catch up with my brass band friends from around the world, including Siobhan. For a short bio on Siobhan, see: http://www.blackdykeband.co.uk/people/siobhan-bates

Doug
    Thanks a bunch for the background, Doug!! Siobhan is indeed very special. I envy you in your trips to Wales in the summer for IBBSS. I just might join you yet, if I live long enough, can still play, and have enough dollars to bring my wife along. I have been to Wales once when working at H-P, and twice to England. But, never time enough to really look around. My younger brother, Jack, has done family tree stuff, and we can trace our roots on my father's side straight to Wales. We even know the town where our great (can't remember which variety of great) grandparents lived. Maybe some day....
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast