Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB - Compensating Euphonium

WTB - Compensating Euphonium

This is probably a pretty strange request, but I'm in the market for a new compensating euphonium & I'd really like to test drive some before I make a final decision.
    I've called around & none of the stores have anything in stock or are unable to set a test drive appt due to COVID.
    Thus far only the Wessex Showroom in Chicago is willing to let me come & they have a 10% discount towards travel expenses if you buy at the showroom but if I don't choose them then that's quite the gamble.
    So I'm hoping to find people local to me (Los Angeles County) on here who have newer horns & don't mind me trying it out.
    My max budget is $3K, so if you have anything that sells new under that price point please PM.
    I'm mostly interested in Wessex & JP euphoniums.
    Thanks!

An effective alternative to visiting the Wessex showroom in Chicago may be to take advantage of the very generous Wessex product return clause, as outlined in the Wessex Warranty statement, which states in part:

"Unlike most leading brands, Wessex Tubas offers a 3-year warranty against manufacturing defects on all our instruments, and in the unlikely event that you are dissatisfied with your purchase, we offer a full refund and return within 2 weeks.
    You can return any item bought from Wessex Tubas within 14 days of receiving it for a full refund, minus shipping costs. However, please contact us before returning your item so we can provide you with return labels and a collection booking with our dedicated courier to ensure the safe return of your item/s. When returning the item, it must be in its original packaging and in ’as received’ condition. Please note that shipping charges apply to refund upon return of your item and any damage will also result in reduced refund."

This would let you evaluate Simfonico, or other Wessex euphonium, for a full 14 days at home, instead of the couple hours you would spend at the Wessex showroom. And in the unlikely case you decided to return the eupho to Wessex, your out of pocket cash outlay is likely to be much less than the cost of a trip to Chicago.

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

3. Very sound advice from Guido. Precisely due to Covid it is unlikely that strangers, regardless of how good hearted they usually are, will be able to facilitate a request such as is being made in the original post. I've never played a Euphonium before but I have ordered one. It's a leap of faith I am prepared to make. All of the reputable sellers offer some kind of return policy and/or a warranty against defects in the instrument. My budget also runs towards what would allow the upper tier instruments of the Wessex and John Packer lines but I've decided to get the JP274 and save the difference for lessons (possibly), accessories and instructional material and repertoire.

True, but the shipping and insurance charges on a returned euphonium are not trivial. I've done it before--it's more like renting a euphonium for two weeks.

Good point JTJ, I am inquiring with Wessex USA and so clarify shipping&insurance charges for returning a Sinfonico before the 14 days deadline.

Perhaps Jonathan can chime in on the subject.

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

6. Related story about my experience, though it was a french horn. i read all the reviews and researched the horn. I am west coast and the store was east coast. It was Chinese made but the seller supposedly went over each horn to verify the quality and workmanship. Their shipping to me was $85. The horn costs around $1000. It was terrible. Intonation was awful. Sounded like it was made of cheap tin. I go to send it back and my shipping was $135. So for all of that, I played it for one hour and I'll never do a trial again.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

7. I've got a Sinfonico on order, sight unseen.
    I wish I was more of a romantic, but I'm doing it based on risk/reward.
    I want a top-quality Euph. The Sinfonico might be that, or it might not.

If it is, I've saved thousands over an Adams/Willson/what-have-you.
    If it's not, I'm out something like $300 on return shipping.

Given the positive reviews of the prototypes, and the attentive e-mail customer service I've received, I think I'm at least 40-50% to be pleased with what turns up on my doorstep this autumn. So I like the bet I've made. We'll see how it turns out.

If you're near LA, try HORNGUYS.COM and see if they're taking visitors.
    I know they carry JP; the 274 has received excellent reviews and is approximately in your price range.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Great suggestion, Snorlax. Here's the reply I received from Steve Ferguson.

Thank you.* Since the Thing it's just me, Steve the owner, two afternoons a week shipping web orders.* Business is sort of idling along at 1/3 power.* I don't have plans to reorder much at the moment...a few trombones. * I'm fairly sure the JP euphs are available from the US warehouse and could arrive here in a week if you'd like to order one.* I'm not making showroom appointments due to Pasadena health dept rules.* For special orders, it's buy and keep, I'm sorry.* Times are so different for business now.* But...I'll make sure it's mechanically perfect and plays fine before shipping or pickup.

So unfortunately it's not a viable solution at this time. ��

10. Try EBay if you’re not committed to new. I just looked and there several in your price range. Some folks will accept returns as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast