Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Morgan
    • Apr 2014

Gee Whiz!! Now I am just a wee bit interested in something I thought I would never be interested in. Maybe I will try one of these things. Although the aesthetics won't be particularly great as I have the brushed finish on my Adams E3 and the silver plate will look out of place.

Dave, I can't remember. Are you using one of these heavy bottom 4th valve caps? Seems that you were, but the one you use came from Adams and not this HBC referenced in this post, ja?

Doug - If I were to get one of these things for my Adams E3, would I pick the one for the Sterling Virtuoso?
    Last edited by John Morgan; 08-08-2020, 01:45 AM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• Magikarp
      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by longhornpatino View Post
      Absolute difference on my B&H Sovereign. I now feel a resonance in the bottom bow on my lap and dynamics are more easily expressed at the ends of the range. This has a definite effect on how the instrument is vibrating at certain points, so much so, that the water catcher now buzzes audibly, which while annoying, it is an easy fix but tells me that there is a change as it does not do this with the regular cap. Machining on that HBC is top notch. I cannot chalk this up to confirmation bias as the comparison is rather compelling.
      I've just ordered one for my 1983 Round Stamp, and am looking forward to seeing what differences can be noted. I can't say I think they look good, but if the benefits are as profound as they're reported to be, I can overlook that.
      Nowt

Retired

Comment

• TheJH
        • Dec 2014

So one question, I don't see any Heavy Bottom Caps for baritone horns on the site. Would they benefit from a HBC or would the difference be negligable (especially on a 3-valve compensating one)?
        Euphoniums
        2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
        1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
        Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
        Baritone
        1975 Besson New Standard
        Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Comment

• Micah.Dominic.Parsons-OFFLINE
          • Jun 2020

Hello Doug,

This is really interesting to read, my Sterling Virtuoso was a similar spec with a slightly bigger better. I honestly loved the sound of this instrument although I have now pretty much got used to the Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium which I think is a pretty incredible instrument. My new Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium is currently being made in Germany so I am excited to see how this will develop and I equally cannot wait to get my hands on it.

I hope you are well.

Many Thanks,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Comment

• daruby
            • Apr 2006

The physics are completely different between baritone and euphonium due to the differences in the wraps. Also the desired sound on baritone is different. Having said that, while I have no desire to use heavy bottom caps on my Sterling Virtuoso baritone, I did purchase it with the optional heavy red brass bell. Paul Riggett started making the heavy bell baritone specifically for performers like me who double baritone and euphonium. It helps to keep us from overblowing the baritone, a common occurrence when you are used to putting euphonium amounts of air into the smaller horn.

I have seen heavy 1-2-3 valve caps on tenor horns, specifically the one Owen Farr uses. This is more similar to using heavy caps on cornets or trumpets.

Doug
            Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
            Concord Band
            Winchendon Winds
            Townsend Military Band

Comment

• franz
              • Dec 2015

I have the self-produced heavy cap on the 4th of my Prestige 2052 as well as the lefreque plates which I find extremely performing. ( on my instrument). Curiously Steven Mead, during a masterclass I attended last fall, noting the additional weight on the 4th, he said that on the Prestige it was not good ( he didn't say the reason), while it was indicated for Sterling Virtuoso. In my humble opinion he was wrong.
              2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• daruby
                • Apr 2006

John,

I have 2 full sets of stock, 1/2 weight and full weight Sterling bottom caps. If I were to loan you a 1/2 weight and full weight, would you like to try them? They are gold plated. If you like it, you can order the 1/2 or full weight from our friends. I would check and see if you can get gold plated instead of silver (or lacquer brass). You need to contact them, though I think that the Willson version that Charley Brighton got will work fine since, Wilson uses the same diameter and thread as the old Sterling (Bauerfeind) and new Adams (also Bauerfeind).

Doug
                Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
                Concord Band
                Winchendon Winds
                Townsend Military Band

Comment

• John Morgan
                  • Apr 2014

Yes, Doug, that would be mighty nice of you. I will send you my details in a PM.
                  John Morgan
                  The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
                  Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
                  1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
                  Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
                  Year Round Except Summer:
                  Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
                  KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
                  Summer Only:
                  Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
                  Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• davewerden
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2005

I'm having trouble keeping up with all the posts I want to respond to! But to answer John's previous question in this conversation, for the past year or so I've been using the heavy 4th cap that Adams sent me. Today I switched to the heavy 4th cap I had for my Sterling, and I think I like the effect a bit better. It is about 42% heavier than the Adams cap, and it is also longer, which may make a difference (some of the extra weight is further away from the anchor points on the valve casing, which give that mass more "leverage" to affect things...I think).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Heavy Cap Adams.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	117726 Click image for larger version

Name:	Heavy Cap Sterling.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	117727

For comparison, here are two examples of the HBC caps in two sizes. As you can see, the larger one adds quite a bit more weight. Over the next week I hope to test them in some kind of meaningful way (once I figure out what that is!):

Name:	IMG_1480.JPG
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	117729 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481.JPG
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	117730

And here are those 2 side by side so you can see the difference in length:

Name:	IMG_1482.JPG
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	117731
                    Last edited by davewerden; 08-25-2020, 04:09 PM.
                    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                    YouTube: dwerden
                    Facebook: davewerden
                    Twitter: davewerden
                    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Chris Waters
                      Sponsor
                      • Jul 2020

Lots of HBC chat and interest Dave! We'd happily send you a 4th HBC to appraise, with our compliments. If you'd like to, please send a private message with your address either by text to +44 7803-386550 or via our messaging service on the website. Blighty Cheers, Chris https://heavybottomcaps.co.uk/

Comment

• davewerden
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2005

Note: the post a couple above this one (from me) is now updated with weights from a couple of Chris' caps.
                        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                        YouTube: dwerden
                        Facebook: davewerden
                        Twitter: davewerden
                        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

Working...
                        X