Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Heavy bottom caps

I have the self-produced heavy cap on the 4th of my Prestige 2052 as well as the lefreque plates which I find extremely performing. ( on my instrument). Curiously Steven Mead, during a masterclass I attended last fall, noting the additional weight on the 4th, he said that on the Prestige it was not good ( he didn't say the reason), while it was indicated for Sterling Virtuoso. In my humble opinion he was wrong.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

2. John,

I have 2 full sets of stock, 1/2 weight and full weight Sterling bottom caps. If I were to loan you a 1/2 weight and full weight, would you like to try them? They are gold plated. If you like it, you can order the 1/2 or full weight from our friends. I would check and see if you can get gold plated instead of silver (or lacquer brass). You need to contact them, though I think that the Willson version that Charley Brighton got will work fine since, Wilson uses the same diameter and thread as the old Sterling (Bauerfeind) and new Adams (also Bauerfeind).

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Yes, Doug, that would be mighty nice of you. I will send you my details in a PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I'm having trouble keeping up with all the posts I want to respond to! But to answer John's previous question in this conversation, for the past year or so I've been using the heavy 4th cap that Adams sent me. Today I switched to the heavy 4th cap I had for my Sterling, and I think I like the effect a bit better. It is about 42% heavier than the Adams cap, and it is also longer, which may make a difference (some of the extra weight is further away from the anchor points on the valve casing, which give that mass more "leverage" to affect things...I think).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heavy Cap Adams.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	7863 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heavy Cap Sterling.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	7864

For comparison, here are two examples of the HBC caps in two sizes. As you can see, the larger one adds quite a bit more weight. Over the next week I hope to test them in some kind of meaningful way (once I figure out what that is!):

Name:	IMG_1480.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	7903 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1481.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	7904

And here are those 2 side by side so you can see the difference in length:

Name:	IMG_1482.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	7905
    Last edited by davewerden; 08-25-2020 at 04:09 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Lots of HBC chat and interest Dave! We'd happily send you a 4th HBC to appraise, with our compliments. If you'd like to, please send a private message with your address either by text to +44 7803-386550 or via our messaging service on the website. Blighty Cheers, Chris https://heavybottomcaps.co.uk/

Note: the post a couple above this one (from me) is now updated with weights from a couple of Chris' caps.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456