X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roger
    • Oct 2017

Clock your mouthpiece

I recently read a blog post about "clocking" your mouthpiece, i.e, moving it around like a clockface to see where it plays best. It was a trumpet blog, but I'm wondering if it would apply to euphonium mp's as well, or does it really make a difference at all. I experimented with my euphonium mp's and couldn't tell a difference. It did recommend having someone else listen instead of trying to discern differences yourself, which I didn't do.
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

Hmm? I’m sometimes suspect of the trumpet discussions about certain things (j/k). I don’t think it makes any difference unless you’re playing on a wedge mpc.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• highpitch
      • Mar 2006

There would have to be a really crappy CNC machine in the lineage for that to happen...

DG

Comment

• Roger
        • Oct 2017

That's all I need to know. Thanks.

Comment

• tbonesullivan
          • Jul 2019

Back in the old days maybe, but not for modern instruments. You'll also find people who say the best mouthpieces "pop" an octave. Basically if you tap your finger across the end of the shank, and then tap the rim against your palm, the two notes should be an octave apart.
          Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Comment

Working...
          X