X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dom
    • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Jonathantuba View Post
    I will need to check the composition of the nickel silver, as I don’t know offhand. The reason for the use of nickel silver for leadpipe is it is resistant to rot. Brass leadpipes often suffer from red rot eventually leading to a hole. For slides, nickel is also more resistant to corrosion. What is not on those specs is that the ports from valves are also nickel silver - something which I believe only Wessex does, to once again be resistant to red rot and holes. It is the areas where the player’s saliva reaches and continuously moist which are most susceptible to red rot.
    Quick question about the Exchangeable Receiver. Does the Eupho come with all of the receivers or are those sold separately? Also, for the grime gutter, is it necessary to buy any additional things to make it work or will it fit out of the box (on the Sinfonico.) Thanks!
    Wessex Dolce Euphonium - SM4U
    Jupiter JSL 740 Bass Trombone

Practice often, Practice well!

Dom

Comment

• Jonathantuba
      • Apr 2013

The Sinfonico comes with three size receivers. It does not come with grime gutter. In fact there is no fitting for such a gutter
      www.Wessex-Tubas.com
      Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
      Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Comment

• Shawn
        • May 2020

Received e-mail from Wessex that Sinfonico shipped today.
        Anybody else here on for one from this batch?

Comment

• jakewillis
          • Dec 2012

My son got his today. He is playing it now. I have to say, it’s really sharp and I hope we can figure it out.
          I play a Wessex Prague
          aka “Pocket Kaiser”
          Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays
          Mack Brass Compensating Euphonium
          Wessex Dolce Compensating Euphonium
          Doug Elliott EUPH SN103, I, I9

Comment

• jakewillis
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by jakewillis View Post
            My son got his today. He is playing it now. I have to say, it’s really sharp and I hope we can figure it out.
            My first reactions as he plays it side by side with his Dolce, are that it’s wicked sharp, but the tone is astonishingly good.
            I play a Wessex Prague
            aka “Pocket Kaiser”
            Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

My first reactions as he plays it side by side with his Dolce, are that it’s wicked sharp, but the tone is astonishingly good.
              The Sinfonico shares some construction techniques with my Adams. Your son's horn has a very easy response, based on my impressions of the prototype last year. If he approaches the way he did on a previous horn it's possible he is simply over-blowing it. With some horns, you have to work hard and may need to really push to get it to respond. With his new horn, I suggest he think about cooperating with the horn. He should not try to force the sound; the idea is to get the horn to resonate (vibrate, to put it simply). At least on my Adams, if I am playing the horn correctly I can feel it vibrate in my hands. If I over-blow and push it sharp, then the horn and I are not in agreement and it vibrates less. This is pretty vague, I know, but without an in-person lesson it's the best I can do!
              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)
              Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
              YouTube: dwerden
              Facebook: davewerden
              Twitter: davewerden
              Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• EuphMan84
                • Jul 2020

I test drove the Sinfonico recently & it seems to be a known issue that the horn plays sharp. They said they are looking into extending the tuning slide & also suggested to use a mouthpiece with a deeper cup.

Comment

• jakewillis
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
                  The Sinfonico shares some construction techniques with my Adams. Your son's horn has a very easy response, based on my impressions of the prototype last year. If he approaches the way he did on a previous horn it's possible he is simply over-blowing it. With some horns, you have to work hard and may need to really push to get it to respond. With his new horn, I suggest he think about cooperating with the horn. He should not try to force the sound; the idea is to get the horn to resonate (vibrate, to put it simply). At least on my Adams, if I am playing the horn correctly I can feel it vibrate in my hands. If I over-blow and push it sharp, then the horn and I are not in agreement and it vibrates less. This is pretty vague, I know, but without an in-person lesson it's the best I can do!
                  Thank you very much. I think he’s going to really need some time to get used to it. It sounds like an Adams. It really does. If he can figure out the intonation, it will be an incredible horn.

My wife and I are stunned at the difference in tone. He’s tried about 10 different Adams horns and this really sounds similar. We tried this model at the Army band conference and this sounds better than expected.

He preferred the Adams by a hair in DC, but this was so much less. He didn’t have to wait another year to get it.

Thanks again for your help. I really hope we can adapt to the intonation.
                  I play a Wessex Prague
                  aka “Pocket Kaiser”
                  Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays

Comment

• Davidus1
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by EuphMan84 View Post
                    I test drove the Sinfonico recently & it seems to be a known issue that the horn plays sharp. They said they are looking into extending the tuning slide & also suggested to use a mouthpiece with a deeper cup.
                    very concerning.
                    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
                    Yamaha 354 Trombone
                    Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• highpitch
                      • Mar 2006

It ought to be a hit in countries using the A442 standard.

DG

Comment

• leisesturm
                        • Aug 2018

I like 'new' as well, so it's worth mentioning ... there is a 'road less traveled' alternative to the Wessex 'Sinfonico' in much the same way as there is a less popular (though that is changing) alternative to the Wessex 'Dolce'. I am speaking of the John Packer 'Sterling' JP374T. The 'T' stands for 'trigger' and a JP374 with trigger is only a little more than a Sinfonico and a JP374 without the trigger is about the same price as a Sinfonico. An earlier poster spoke of the 'chubbier' design of the Sinfonico and I have to wonder just how chubby it can be with 'only' an 11" bell. The JP374 has an honest 12" bell and everything that goes along with that. If I were shopping in that price area of horn I would certainly want to play test either of the two JP374's vs a Sinfonico before I made up my mind. FWIW.
                        John Packer JP274 MKII S

Comment

• Jonathantuba
                          • Apr 2013

I think Dave Werden could be onto why some players have trouble with the Sinfonico playing sharp. It was designed with feedback from a top military band euphoniumist, so it obviously did not play sharp for him.

However if any buyer finds the horn sharp for them, that is easy to fix - Wessex can readily get a longer main tuning slide to solve the problem. I have some on order from factory now.

In the longer term, Wessex are starting to supply two main tuning slides with all new horns that have a shorter main tuning slide to accommodate for the variations in players requirements.
                          www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Comment

• jakewillis
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Jonathantuba View Post
                            I think Dave Werden could be onto why some players have trouble with the Sinfonico playing sharp. It was designed with feedback from a top military band euphoniumist, so it obviously did not play sharp for him.

However if any buyer finds the horn sharp for them, that is easy to fix - Wessex can readily get a longer main tuning slide to solve the problem. I have some on order from factory now.

In the longer term, Wessex are starting to supply two main tuning slides with all new horns that have a shorter main tuning slide to accommodate for the variations in players requirements.
                            How can I order one?
                            I play a Wessex Prague
                            aka “Pocket Kaiser”
                            Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays

Comment

• Jonathantuba
                              • Apr 2013

How can I order one?
                              Please contact James Garney using email Dolce@Wessex-tubas.com - or phone 616-843-6888. We don’t have any in stock now, but I hope some will be in container shortly leaving factory. So September delivery is realistic.
                              www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Comment

• guidocorona
                                • Jun 2018

James has been very prompt in answering all my emails.... Email may be the most effective means to contact him.

Regards, Guido
                                M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
                                Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
                                Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

Working...
                                X