Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Wessex Sinfonico?

  1. I like 'new' as well, so it's worth mentioning ... there is a 'road less traveled' alternative to the Wessex 'Sinfonico' in much the same way as there is a less popular (though that is changing) alternative to the Wessex 'Dolce'. I am speaking of the John Packer 'Sterling' JP374T. The 'T' stands for 'trigger' and a JP374 with trigger is only a little more than a Sinfonico and a JP374 without the trigger is about the same price as a Sinfonico. An earlier poster spoke of the 'chubbier' design of the Sinfonico and I have to wonder just how chubby it can be with 'only' an 11" bell. The JP374 has an honest 12" bell and everything that goes along with that. If I were shopping in that price area of horn I would certainly want to play test either of the two JP374's vs a Sinfonico before I made up my mind. FWIW.
    John Packer JP274 MKII S

  2. I think Dave Werden could be onto why some players have trouble with the Sinfonico playing sharp. It was designed with feedback from a top military band euphoniumist, so it obviously did not play sharp for him.

    However if any buyer finds the horn sharp for them, that is easy to fix - Wessex can readily get a longer main tuning slide to solve the problem. I have some on order from factory now.

    In the longer term, Wessex are starting to supply two main tuning slides with all new horns that have a shorter main tuning slide to accommodate for the variations in players requirements.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

    Visit our Facebook page

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathantuba View Post
    I think Dave Werden could be onto why some players have trouble with the Sinfonico playing sharp. It was designed with feedback from a top military band euphoniumist, so it obviously did not play sharp for him.

    However if any buyer finds the horn sharp for them, that is easy to fix - Wessex can readily get a longer main tuning slide to solve the problem. I have some on order from factory now.

    In the longer term, Wessex are starting to supply two main tuning slides with all new horns that have a shorter main tuning slide to accommodate for the variations in players requirements.
    How can I order one?

  4. Quote Originally Posted by jakewillis View Post
    How can I order one?
    Please contact James Garney using email Dolce@Wessex-tubas.com - or phone 616-843-6888. We don’t have any in stock now, but I hope some will be in container shortly leaving factory. So September delivery is realistic.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

    Visit our Facebook page

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Summerville (SC)
    Posts
    152
    James has been very prompt in answering all my emails.... Email may be the most effective means to contact him.

    Regards, Guido
    Euph - Wessex EP104 Festivo - SM4U
    Flugel - Kanstul 1525
    Trpt - Adams A4 LB
    Bb Cornet -Carolbrass CCR-7772R-GSS
    Eb Cornet - Carolbrass CCR-7775-GSS

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathantuba View Post
    Please contact James Garney using email Dolce@Wessex-tubas.com - or phone 616-843-6888. We don’t have any in stock now, but I hope some will be in container shortly leaving factory. So September delivery is realistic.
    Thank you Jonathan!

  7. #47
    For the record, James was very pleasant and we are now awaiting our longer tuning slide. However, Logan has adjusted to the horn and the intonation has improved (thank you to Dave for the playing advice as well.)

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Summerville (SC)
    Posts
    152
    Hello Jake, question for you.... How are the Sinfonico's top and bottom caps behaving... Are they prone to cross-threading at all?

    My Wessex Festivo was extremely prone to cross-threading when new. Now, after two years of frequently removing and screwing back the caps, and the periodic application of Silicon-based Corning Vacuum Grease, cross-threading has somewhat abated, though it is still less than perfect.

    Regards, Guido
    Last edited by guidocorona; 08-04-2020 at 08:26 AM.
    Euph - Wessex EP104 Festivo - SM4U
    Flugel - Kanstul 1525
    Trpt - Adams A4 LB
    Bb Cornet -Carolbrass CCR-7772R-GSS
    Eb Cornet - Carolbrass CCR-7775-GSS

  9. #49
    I had the same issue when I first started playing my Hirsbrunner. The sharpness did go away, but it was alarming at first. If the Sinfonico is really free blowing, I can imagine it being blown sharp.

    Robert Pendergast, DM

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hello Jake, question for you.... How are the Sinfonico's top and bottom caps behaving... Are they prone to cross-threading at all?

    My Wessex Festivo was extremely prone to cross-threading when new. Now, after two years of frequently removing and screwing back the caps, and the periodic application of Silicon-based Corning Vacuum Grease, cross-threading has somewhat abated, though it is still less than perfect.

    Regards, Guido

    My son says they’re kind of difficult to get back on, but he doesn’t have much problem with cross-threading with either his Dolce or the Sinfonico.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •