Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wessex Sinfonico?

Wow! Thanks for all the input! I'd love to see if Johnathan chimes in, I've heard great things about the Sinfonico and I am confident it will be an outstanding horn. I'll hopefully be able to buy at the end of this year (Maybe Christmas? )

Are the valves quieter on the Sinfonico than that of the Dolce?
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    Wow! Thanks for all the input! I'd love to see if Johnathan chimes in, I've heard great things about the Sinfonico and I am confident it will be an outstanding horn. I'll hopefully be able to buy at the end of this year (Maybe Christmas? )
    I am sure you will love the EP600HP - it is a euphonium we developed with feedback from some of the best euphonium players in the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidus1 View Post
    Are the valves quieter on the Sinfonico than that of the Dolce?
    I am not quite sure what you mean? With piston valves the noise is mainly determined by the springs and felts fitted, unless the valve is gritty with dirt or has badly fitting valve guides. So the valves should be quiet on either model. If not, something needs replacing. If you like send us a video and we may be able to determine what is causing noise.
    Last edited by Jonathantuba; 07-17-2020 at 04:53 PM.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathantuba View Post
    I am sure you will love the EP600HP - it is a euphonium we developed with feedback from some of the best euphonium players in the business.

I am not quite sure what you mean? With piston valves the noise is mainly determined by the springs and felts fitted, unless the valve is gritty with dirt or has badly fitting valve guides. So the valves should be quiet on either model. If not, something needs replacing. If you like send us a video and we may be able to determine what is causing noise.
    Thanks Jonathan. What I mean is the normal noise that comes with playing the valves. Matoniz did a nice comparison video with JP274 and Schiller Elite. I know it isn't the exact same as a Dolce but prefer the "quieter" valves on the JP in that video. Just curious if the Sinfonico would be quiet valves. I agree that the springs and felts have a big impact. I also know that when looking to cut costs it seems that they are sometimes of lesser quality. (not always and not referring to Wessex specifically, just an observation). Very interested in the Sinfonico. I guess the next shipment won't arrive until later this fall? Thanks.
    Last edited by Davidus1; 07-17-2020 at 08:04 PM.

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Davidus1 View Post
    Matoniz did a nice comparison video with JP274 and Schiller Elite. I know it isn't the exact same as a Dolce but prefer the "quieter" valves on the JP in that video.
    If that is the video I'm thinking of, look at again and watch his fingers. In one such video I saw he was slamming the valves much harder for the horn he said had noisier valves.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    If that is the video I'm thinking of, look at again and watch his fingers. In one such video I saw he was slamming the valves much harder for the horn he said had noisier valves.
    Thanks Dave. I'll look for that again.

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

7. Quote Originally Posted by Davidus1 View Post
    Thanks Jonathan. What I mean is the normal noise that comes with playing the valves. Matoniz did a nice comparison video with JP274 and Schiller Elite. I know it isn't the exact same as a Dolce but prefer the "quieter" valves on the JP in that video. Just curious if the Sinfonico would be quiet valves. I agree that the springs and felts have a big impact. I also know that when looking to cut costs it seems that they are sometimes of lesser quality. (not always and not referring to Wessex specifically, just an observation). Very interested in the Sinfonico. I guess the next shipment won't arrive until later this fall? Thanks.
    There are a couple things to remember here. Firstly Schiller Elite is not Wessex. They are definitely not made in the same workshop, I don’t think are even made in the same factory as Wessex and they will definitely not be made with such care, or with such high grade materials (all Wessex are now made with our own dedicated team of the most experienced craftsmen and women). For example the bumper felts will be not such high quality and the valves won’t have been lapped to the same standards either, even if with same metal (I don’t know about that). The quietness of the Sinfonico valves will be exactly the same as the Dolce. On the latest production, the factory have really got good with fitting the valves. The last batch I checked at factory had as quiet and smooth valves as any Besson or Yamaha I have ever tried - and before you ask the valve cap threads are now pretty reliable too. Not yet perfect, but we are 90% of the way there.

There are a batch of Sinfonico arriving in about 5 days, but those are all pre-sold. More will be arriving in the Fall. Production is now fully up and working again.
    Last edited by Jonathantuba; 07-18-2020 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Extra info
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Hi Jonathan, delighted that production is fully back onlline!

Now that Wessex has started the creation a series of product-specific videos, when might we see/hear a video dedicated to Sinfonico?

BTW, I'd love to see/hear in such productions a larger number/variety of musical examples, than on the otherwise excellent Leviathan video, so to fully represent the tonal/performance character of the horn.

Needless to say, these new videos are so particularly welcome during these pandemic times, where live playtest opportunities at conferences like ITEC seem to have receeded into a rather nebulous future.

Best regards, Guido
    Last edited by guidocorona; 07-18-2020 at 10:23 AM.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    BTW, I'd love to see/hear in such productions a larger number/variety of musical examples, than on the otherwise excellent Leviathan video, so to fully represent the tonal/performance character of the horn. ... where live playtest opportunities at conferences like ITEC seem to have receeded into a rather nebulous future.
    I had the same thought when I saw the video. I enjoyed hearing the story of the horn. But I also said to myself while watching it, "Let's hear the horn." Give us excerpts where we can hear what it is like in the low register and the high register; when played staccato and when slurred. In short, the samples should be similar to what we would do if we were trying out the horn for the purpose of buying it. Particularly since most prospective viewers/listeners/potential buyers will not get the chance to try it in person.

- Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

10. Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hi Jonathan, delighted that production is fully back onlline!

Now that Wessex has started the creation a series of product-specific videos, when might we see/hear a video dedicated to Sinfonico?

BTW, I'd love to see/hear in such productions a larger number/variety of musical examples, than on the otherwise excellent Leviathan video, so to fully represent the tonal/performance character of the horn.

Needless to say, these new videos are so particularly welcome during these pandemic times, where live playtest opportunities at conferences like ITEC seem to have receeded into a rather nebulous future.

Best regards, Guido
    Thanks for the idea - I will see what we can do. For the Sinfonico - James Garney (Chicago showroom manager) who is excellent euphonium player is working on putting together video
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast