Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wessex Sinfonico?

Wessex Sinfonico?

Hi, Im fairly new to euphonium and have been playing on a Vintage 1967 B&H Imperial provided by my school. I have had a very good experience with the horn, however I need to start looking into a horn of my own. I originally wanted the Wessex Dolce (Which I have heard amazing things about) But recently my budget increased up to the Sinfonico range. I have heard it is a high step above the Dolce in quality. I also really like it's "chubbier" design and the copper accents. Is this a good euphonium?

There is some info in the forum about the horn.
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...o#.XwPlES2ZM_U

Also, look up Algirdas Matoniz on Youtube playing it and discussing the horn
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHfrS-Puin4&t=517s
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Thank you, I thought there was only the one about the IET prototype.

Are you buying the Sinfonico new? If you are in that price range, you are in the price range of used pro level euphoniums by Besson, Boosey & Hawkes, and others. I think Dillon Music has a B&H Imperial for sale right now.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

At that point look at the used market too, I've seen some sterling virtuosos and an XO Euphonium get sold around that range.

I actually really liked the sinfónico. I preferred it to several “pro” horns that cost 2 to 3 times as much when I was playing horns at the most recent tuba/euph workshop. It’s a crazy amount of horn for the money. It played a little like the Adams models, if you’ve ever tested those. It played very easily and was a solid improvement from the dolce, which I already liked and won a gig in the USMC fleet bands on. From what I remember, wessex had a great return policy if you didn’t like the horn. Which may or may not be the case for a used horn.
    Alex S

Quote Originally Posted by Beef View Post
    At that point look at the used market too, I've seen some sterling virtuosos and an XO Euphonium get sold around that range.
    I am buying new, and for now I'd probably stick with new. I just want to be sure that I like the Euphonium, and as AlexS said, a used horn may not have a solid return policy, nor a way to test it out. I do like my current Imperial and at least for now (Corona) I'm not going to buy.

When this whole thing clears up I'm planning on hopefully going to Chicago and stop by the Wessex showroom to try out the Euphonium.

From what I've seen at the various music stores I've been to, the sinfonico has an amazing price for the package it gives. The others lack in quality or very often a compensating system.

Though, I would love to find a nice used horn there may just be some issues. Thank you everyone for replying and I'll definitely try to use some of the suggestions!

Hello Dom, an effective alternative to waiting until the end of the COVIT pandemic may be to take advantage of the very generous Wessex product return clause, as outlined in the Wessex Warranty statement, which states in part:

"Unlike most leading brands, Wessex Tubas offers a 3-year warranty against manufacturing defects on all our instruments, and in the unlikely event that you are dissatisfied with your purchase, we offer a full refund and return within 2 weeks.
    You can return any item bought from Wessex Tubas within 14 days of receiving it for a full refund, minus shipping costs. However, please contact us before returning your item so we can provide you with return labels and a collection booking with our dedicated courier to ensure the safe return of your item/s. When returning the item, it must be in its original packaging and in ’as received’ condition. Please note that shipping charges apply to refund upon return of your item and any damage will also result in reduced refund."

This would let you evaluate Simfonico for a full 14 days at home, instead of the couple hours you would spend at the Wessex showroom. And in the unlikely case you decided to return the eupho to Wessex, your out of pocket cash outlay is likely to be much less than the cost of a trip to Chicago.

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

I've been emailing with James Garney at Wessex about a showroom appt and tried to find out more info on the Sinfonica.
    Here's some details about the horn that are not so widely available:

"The EP600 is an original design by Wessex while the Dolce is a Jinbao design that we have made several manufacturing improvements to. It shares many features that we use across our entire line of instruments (stainless steel valves, gold brass leadpipe, etc.) The big thing that sets the EP600 apart is the fact that it is a hand hammered sheet brass instrument. Because of this, the instrument is one consistent thickness the whole way through. This makes it considerably lighter than the other Euphonium models in our lineup. There was also careful attention paid to the compensating range, resulting in better response in the low range. Additionally, this is the only Euphonium we currently make in the high grade department, which results in a greater attention to detail. When you come to the showroom to play it, you will be able to feel how much higher quality the EP600 is over the EP100."
    Last edited by EuphMan84; 07-13-2020 at 01:30 PM.

Dom and all, I have written to James Garney at Wessex about the Try&Buy for Sinfonico. James has responded within the hour with this very encouraging note:

"Hi Guido,

Thank you for pointing this out to me and taking the initiative to offer this to one of our potential customers. The way our return process works is as
    follows: The customer reaches out to me to let me know that they wish to return the instrument. They pack it up in the box with all the packaging. We issue
    a return label to either our warehouse or to me here in Chicago. They get refunded minus the total cost of shipping once it reaches us and it is determined
    that nothing was damaged. On a Euphonium, it's around $100. Sometimes it can be less depending on where they are located and where the instrument is returning
    to. We ask that our customers reach out to us prior to just shipping it back to us as they can take advantage of our corporate shipping rates and we can
    figure out where the inventory needs to go.

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm sure Jonathan will also weigh in on that thread at some point and say similar things."

James can be reached as follows:
    Email: dolce@wessex-tubas.com
    Phone: 616-843-6888

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast