Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Wessex Sinfonico?

Iam curious about the mouthpieces being used by those who are experiencing a pitch higher than "normal" on Sinfonico....
    Are you experiencing the issue with the Wessex-supplied 4Y, or with some other MP instead.... Or does the issue persist no matter the mouthpiece?

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Iam curious about the mouthpieces being used by those who are experiencing a pitch higher than "normal" on Sinfonico....
    Are you experiencing the issue with the Wessex-supplied 4Y, or with some other MP instead.... Or does the issue persist no matter the mouthpiece?

Regards, Guido
    My son uses a Doug Elliot N104 rim on a Euph Jstar cup with a J9 shank.

For the record, he has had far fewer intonation issues lately. The Sinfonico is a much better instrument than the Dolce, in my and his opinions.

For my own experience, I brought my Denis Wick SM4 & used it on both the Dolce & Sinfonico.

I'd be curious to know if you experience the same pitch behavior when using the Wessex-supplied 4Y.

Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

I would mostly be worried since I use a really small mp, the SM6. So I think it is pretty much guaranteed that it will be sharp. Though, Im not so sure since my largest mouthpiece, my Kosikup, played really sharp and the main tuning slide had to be pulled out a ton. So it may not be a problem. Ill have to wait and see!
    Wessex Dolce Euphonium - SM4U
    Jupiter JSL 740 Bass Trombone

Practice often, Practice well!

Dom

I have a question about the interchangeable mouthpiece receivers, do they double as an adjustable gap receiver? or do they have to be in a specific position? Thanks!
    Wessex Dolce Euphonium - SM4U
    Jupiter JSL 740 Bass Trombone

Practice often, Practice well!

Dom

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    I have a question about the interchangeable mouthpiece receivers, do they double as an adjustable gap receiver? or do they have to be in a specific position? Thanks!
    Unless Jonathan's team did something different from the Hirsbrunner standard, the receivers are not for adjusting gap. I think they screw in all the way, like your valve caps do.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

8. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Unless Jonathan's team did something different from the Hirsbrunner standard, the receivers are not for adjusting gap. I think they screw in all the way, like your valve caps do.
    That is correct!
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Hi all,

I'm James, I'm the Chicago Showroom Manager for Wessex and the person who replies when you email dolce@wessex-tubas.com
    My background as a Euphonium player is I majored in music at the UO and studied with Mike Grose for 5 years on Euphonium. I'd like to think I'm at least semi-decent at euphonium after all of that, although my technical skills are certainly lacking compared to some other professionals (please don't ask me to play something like later Carnival variations or the second half of Pantomime as it won't sound pretty.)

I have been talking to a lot of you via email about this horn and have been working with Jonathan as we try to remedy the pitch issues on some of these instruments. I have a few things I want to bring up now that I have played a total of 6 of these horns including the production prototype. The first few of these horns that I played punched way above the belt in terms of how they played for the price, both from a pitch standpoint and a general feel standpoint. I don't think anyone who got one of those horns has complained about pitch issues. Dave said it best, they feel similar to how Adams euphoniums respond. For an experienced player, you're going to work far less hard to produce an excellent sound than you would on most instruments. A lot of this is a result of sheet brass construction. The trade off is if you over blow the horn, pitch will go up drastically. There is a bit of an adjustment period, sure, but an experienced player will adjust to this within a playing session on the horn. Why do I bring this up you may ask? Some of the horns that have shipped are sharp despite the expected adjustment and it has prompted us to begin production of longer tuning slides to supplement with this instrument model thanks to feedback by many of you and myself. These MTS will be distributed soon to those who have asked for them and I believe there are plans to include them with future instruments.

All of this being said brings me to some advice I have for the general playing base. If you yourself are an amateur player, you will have a hard time playing this instrument in tune. In a way, sheet brass horns allow you to cheat if you're an excellent player and form incredibly bad habits if you are less experienced. For that reason, I recommend the EP100 Dolce to the vast majority of players, and really only recommend the EP600 for those players who are looking for either an upgrade from the EP100 or a more premium playing experience. If you use a European profile stemmed mouthpiece (one that seats further in the lead pipe), this horn will push sharp and you will likely need the longer MTS unless you are willing to change equipment. The mouthpiece we supply with the horn shouldn't have this issue, although some players may find the rim to be a bit small if they are used to playing a 51D.

Another odd quirk that I have observed is that Wilson players find this horn to be abhorrently sharp. While most modern euphoniums are based on the same Besson design, there are slight differences in manufacturing that can result in odd tendencies. In general, if you play on a Besson style horn (Besson, York, Hirsburner, Yamaha, etc.) you will be far more likely to enjoy how this instrument plays as it alleviates several of the bad tenancies while still feeling familiar. Personally, going from a YEP842S to this horn felt like a natural upgrade. It's considerably lighter and removed a lot of the high range pitch issues I had with the Yamaha. Unfortunately for Wilson players, the longer MTS will not resolve this pitch problem and will require a longer break in period to get used to the intonation on the instrument.

Thank you James, this actually completely changed my mind about which instrument I'll buy. I currently play on a very heavy imperial and I'm not sure I would be able to control the sinfonico. How would you rate the quality of silver plate on the dolce? I will be wiping it often after I play I want to make sure it'll last. Thanks!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast