Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wessex Sinfonico?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathantuba View Post
    There are a couple things to remember here. Firstly Schiller Elite is not Wessex. They are definitely not made in the same workshop, I don’t think are even made in the same factory as Wessex and they will definitely not be made with such care, or with such high grade materials (all Wessex are now made with our own dedicated team of the most experienced craftsmen and women). For example the bumper felts will be not such high quality and the valves won’t have been lapped to the same standards either, even if with same metal (I don’t know about that). The quietness of the Sinfonico valves will be exactly the same as the Dolce. On the latest production, the factory have really got good with fitting the valves. The last batch I checked at factory had as quiet and smooth valves as any Besson or Yamaha I have ever tried - and before you ask the valve cap threads are now pretty reliable too. Not yet perfect, but we are 90% of the way there.

There are a batch of Sinfonico arriving in about 5 days, but those are all pre-sold. More will be arriving in the Fall. Production is now fully up and working again.
    As mentioned I wasn't referring to Wessex specifically. I like the personal touch of your responses to inquiries and the commitment to quality improvement. Thanks for the reply and additional information.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

2. I put down a deposit on a Sinfonico a couple months ago, with a promised delivery Late September.
    FWIW I just got a note from a lady in Accounts, kindly requesting the balance owing and noting that my instrument will ship at the end of next week.

No info on the shipping service but an ominous note that import duties and taxes are my responsibility.
    (I smell UPS, although I certainly hope I'm mistaken. UPS is absolutely brutal in Canada for extracting ridiculously high "brokerage fees".)

Updates to follow.

3. The shipping will be by DHL and for duties and taxes, they are included for purchases in the USA and EU, but unfortunately not Canada.

Shipping will be next week after further quality assurance at warehouse.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

4. Thanks Jonathan.
    DHL is better news.
    If you're reading, I'm quite skittish about what the import duties will be; I guess we'll see. If you ever decide to go after the Canadian band market for volume, you'd do well to set up a wholesaler here so he tax burden on the eventual end-user is minimised.
    Does the Sinfonico come with a mouthpiece? If so, what is it/what does it compare to? (Overall product description on the website is pretty thin.)

5. The trouble with a wholesaler is that can increase the retail cost. Yes the euphonium comes with mouthpiece, I believe the 4Y.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Wessex has updated their website with additional specs on the Sinfonica.

A euphonium fully handmade from sheet brass to provide the best possible response at all registers. Ideal for brass band, wind band and orchestra.

Made with extra thick silver-plating, with unique copper-plated highlights.

Specifications

Key: Bb*Bell: 11” (280mm)
    Bore: *0.59”-0.67” (15-17mm)

Special Features

Handcrafted from sheet brass
    Made with*70/30 German brass
    Stainless Steel valves with nylon valve guides
    Nickel silver leadpipe
    Exchangable size mouthpiece receivers (small, medium and large)
    Nickel silver slides
    Supplied in high-quality lightweight case with back-pack straps

So how does the nickel silver lead pipe & slides impact the overall performance & also durability?

Stainless steel valves are definitely more durable than monel, but what will nylon guides bring to the valve's performance?

Hello Euphman....

Note that the name of this horn is "Sinfonico", that is it spells with an "o" at the end, instead of an "a".

I am leaving performance commentaries to members with experience, but as far as I know, so called Nickel-Silver (which does not contain any Silver) is likely to be more resistive to wear and corrosion than regular brass... Nickel-Silver is an alloy of Copper and Nickel, while brass is Copper and Zinc.

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

8. Nickel Silver is typically Copper and nickel and zinc.

Lots more here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver
    Curiously, under 'uses', there's lots of stuff about musical instruments, but nothing about watchmaking. It's the plate of choice for many German watchmakers, esp. in Glashuette.

Ouch... Thank you Shawn, I stand corrected... I should have checked Wikipedia!

Perhaps Jonathan can comment on the composition of the particular Nickel-Silver alloy employed on Sinfonico.

G.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

10. I will need to check the composition of the nickel silver, as I don’t know offhand. The reason for the use of nickel silver for leadpipe is it is resistant to rot. Brass leadpipes often suffer from red rot eventually leading to a hole. For slides, nickel is also more resistant to corrosion. What is not on those specs is that the ports from valves are also nickel silver - something which I believe only Wessex does, to once again be resistant to red rot and holes. It is the areas where the player’s saliva reaches and continuously moist which are most susceptible to red rot.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast