Thread: SM6U Mouthpiece

SM6U Mouthpiece

Hi, I'm fairly new to euphonium, I've been playing for 1.5 years but I've greatly surpassed my expectations. Anyways, I think it's time for a new mouthpiece. I have had 2 mouthpieces before, the DW 5AL, which I find too big, and find it hard to play high, and a Kosikup regular, which is the one I currently play and it's a much more comfortable size. My question is, since I find a size 5 too big, should I get a 6 instead? Does the SM series have a smaller feel regardless of cup diameter? Thanks! :)

P.S, I have played an SM3 before and I liked the sound and feel, but I found it much too big.

Welcome to the forum!

I'd say the SM6 is worth a try. It's popular as a baritone mouthpiece.

I believe the SM series feels slightly smaller than the standard Wick mouthpieces. Probably has something to do with the shape of the rim, because the actual diameter of the inner cup is the same between the SM and standard series.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thank you David! I'll try it out!

4. Dom,

Consider a SM6U or a Wick 6BL. The 6B will help the high range a bit since it has a shallower cup than the SM6U. Both (in small shank as SM6B or 6BS) are popular baritone mouthpieces. I use a Bach 5G on baritone and also sometimes on euphonium.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Great suggestions from Doug. I personally like the 5G, but if the SM5 seemed to large I was not sure if this might as well.

I forgot that Wick made a 6BL. I used a 4BL for a couple years to get used to the cup/rim, and then when my strength was built up I moved to the 4AL. Here is a quick comparison between the 4AL and 4BL. It might give you an idea of how close the "B" is to the "A" depth.

https://youtu.be/vdCeDsMKneM
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium