Thread: Instrument Positioning

1. Instrument Positioning

Greetings, I have been watching a number of solo euphonium + brass band/concert band type music. For most of my life I was convinced that there was no more beautiful brass sound than a (French) Horn in the hands of a real master. Obviously I am rethinking that since I am now spending so much time here amongst all of you. Anyway, what I have noticed is that some players have the instrument almost at a 90 degree angle to their body. The bell is pointed towards the audience. Is this done to aid 'projection'? Does it require any modification of the leadpipe? Does it have any positive or negative impact on the arms and/or shoulders? In other words, could this be a 'better' position for playing euph. than the usual one with the instrument parallel to your body?

Good questions!

Projection: we often need a little help getting our sound to the audience, and moving the bell more toward the hall an help a lot. I've been experimenting that over many years, and have decided that it is very important. For the most part I point more out toward the audience. Sometimes I choose to point back more for mellow passages because it smooths the sound a bit.

Body: For years I preferred a horn with less angle. That may be because it "posed" nicely that way, with the horn more parallel to the body. But Adams learned that players like more angle for reasons of health and wellbeing. The more parallel position scrunches up the muscles and ligaments more - moving to a greater angle frees the arm. I do find that more comfortable, and it also facilitates the projection thing.

So for my opinion on this, it's a win-win to have the greater angle.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium