Thread: Recovering Use of Right Hand

Recovering Use of Right Hand

I'm posting this on behalf of user jstraussman.

I am recovering from a stroke though i have weakness in my right hand and fingers. i am looking for suggestions to improve my finger strength or modify my horn which is the top end Willson. One idea I was given is to replace the springs or to shorten them by clipping them.. Any thought about this and general ideas about improving finger strength are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I'll start the ball rolling here. Jeff, if you have a decent repair tech handy, I would ask them about shortening the existing springs. Best would be to get a new set for use in the future and have the tech shorten the existing springs. It's not necessarily a do-it-yourself job.

(My email suggestion to Jeff was to obtain a set of softer springs. Does anyone here know which soft springs would fit best in the Willson?)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Hi Mr. Straussman,

Please don't think I'm joking when I write this. I'm under the care of a neurological physiotherapist, and I've seen how they work.

Bring your instrument (with advance notice if possible) to your next physiotherapy session. Physios, and occupational therapists, are trained to be goal-oriented health providers. Their brains switch into a higher gear when you plainly say "I need to be able to do [X]." Think about your phrasing before your appointment. You might end up with a therapist who doesn't know a tuba from a flute, but if you can say "I need to be able to do [X] with my fingers with my hand held [here] on [this instrument]", your physio and/or OT will set up a plan that might give you a shot.

Happy to exchange DMs directly or indirectly, but I've kind of said all I know. Every neuro case, we're all different. I wish you the very best.

S

Perhaps a practice device like these hand grips would be of benefit? I don't know if they actually "work", but I'd consult your physical therapist before purchasing.

https://prohands.net/products/via?va...15238593773627

5. Quote Originally Posted by TD517 View Post
    Perhaps a practice device like these hand grips would be of benefit? I don't know if they actually "work", but I'd consult your physical therapist before purchasing. https://prohands.net/products/via?va...15238593773627
    Get the lowest resistance you can find. I have the yellow one (4lbs) and it is too much.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band