Thread: Fernando Deddos: Concerto for Euphonium and Orchestra (2016)

Fernando Deddos: Concerto for Euphonium and Orchestra (2016)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2qF6iJisaU

The composer, an Adams performer, plays his own work, and it's very good indeed!

In many ways, I think the euphonium works better as a solo instrument with orchestra than with wind bands because of the contrast in sound.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
    In many ways, I think the euphonium works better as a solo instrument with orchestra than with wind bands because of the contrast in sound.
    I think you are on to something, John. I played the David "Concertino in F" for trombone on the euphonium with an orchestra accompaniment. I really like that type of arrangement. More and more euphonium players are performing with orchestras, a really good thing!

Fernando is a monster on euphonium (and piano) and probably other stuff I don't know about. He plays, he composes, he conducts, he does it all, a supreme talent. He unfortunately missed ITEC 2019, I was really looking forward to seeing and hearing him in Iowa after hearing him live for the first time at ITEC 2016 in Knoxville. Plays an Adams horn and is an Adams artist, at least he was last time I checked.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
    I think I remember reading something where David Childs said the same thing regarding his Symphonic Euphonium Vol. 2 album. Listening to it you really can hear some very soft euphonium playing because of the uniqueness of the euphonium sound within the context of the orchestra.