Thread: Euphonium Playing a Clarinet Part? Sure!

Euphonium Playing a Clarinet Part? Sure!

I heard this and knew I HAD to share it! A euphonium handling the solo part of Mozart's Clarinet Quintet (solo plus 4 strings). Good job by Cynsy Plant on the solo!

(I love the creativity of seeking this type of repertoire. Somewhere I have an amazing recording of Roger Oyster playing the Weber Concertino for Clarinet with the St. Louis Symphony. As I recall he played this with piano for a competition at ITEC 1978.)

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

This is amazing!! My favourite Clarinet Concerto on my fav instrument! Thanks for finding this gem, sir!!
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I gave that a listen. Quite nice. It takes a different approach to play with a small string ensemble. I played the cello part on euphonium at a recent Christmas concert at a church. I think there were 5-6 other strings in the ensemble. That was much harder to do than I would have thought. It would have been pretty easy to overwhelm the other strings, so I had to back off in order to not do that and to blend in. And it was actually harder for me to play softly and in tune with the group than it would be to "play out" in a regular brass quintet (on euph or trombone). Air wise, I found it harder because I was holding back, and that made it harder to breath appropriately. I felt like I was winded a lot. But it was really an enjoyable experience trying to blend in and play as a group. I look forward to doing that again. And these kinds of performances by the young lady above are great for the euphonium world!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)