Thread: Virtual Lessons

Virtual Lessons

With the current pandemic how have you changed your private lessons. (both giving and receiving lessons). My son is an upright Bass player and he has been on Skype, Zoom and FaceTime. Its a different experience. My son will be starting college this fall and we are waiting to hear if the classes will be held in person or virtual. He is a music major and obviously groups can't really rehearse remotely, at least not effectively. What are your experience with virtual lessons? Do you feel they are effective?
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

I'm finding that online lessons are great for "Coaching" on pieces that students are working up. Surprisingly, the sound produced by even basic systems is OK for coaching purposes.
    What's harder, however, (at least for me) is to analyze and diagnose mechanical issues a student may be having, UNLESS the student has a very good camera for closeups, etc.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

What format are you using Jim? Zoom?, Skype?

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    I'm finding that online lessons are great for "Coaching" on pieces that students are working up. Surprisingly, the sound produced by even basic systems is OK for coaching purposes.
    What's harder, however, (at least for me) is to analyze and diagnose mechanical issues a student may be having, UNLESS the student has a very good camera for closeups, etc.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Yes and Yes.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

5. I started a thread about this recently in the tuba/euph forum, asking the same questions. It took me a good month or so online before I felt like I had taught a really solid lesson. I never realized how much I play with my students until I couldn’t. It’s an adjustment that can be made, but even in the best lessons something gets lost in the connection between my students and I when we’re not together in person. I can no longer rely on non-verbal cues. On the other hand, it has helped made my verbal instructions more efficient.

I just saw this morning that Zoom has a new audio mode that is better for music. See more here:

https://www.scoringnotes.com/news/be...idelity-audio/
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium