Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lesson in What NOT to Do!

Lesson in What NOT to Do!

I was part of this conversation on Facebook tonight. I blocked out the original poster's name. It seems pretty flagrant to me, and as I say there, works against the best interest of all of us.

This should show you the image of the screen:

Last edited by davewerden; 06-21-2020 at 05:33 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Good for you, Dave!! That bothers me as well. I make copies of the music I buy, for instance, my entire book of tuba/euphonium quartets. I keep the originals safe, and put copies in our folders. But I do not let those copies go anywhere or get duplicated, I treat them as originals. When I buy the band arrangement for solos I play, I make a copy of my solo for myself and keep the original with the folder the music came in.

But I don't ask people for copies of music like this schlep was. The "brothers that need helping out" are the composers and publishers, not some freeloader trying to get music without paying for it.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thanks for sharing this. Definitely agree! That is someone else's living. Its theft. I treat mine the same as John mentions. I protect the originals that I purchase but don't give music away. It isn't mine to give.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

The post is gone now, but I didn't get a notice that the admin deleted it. Maybe the guy did. Anyway, I looked at his FB profile. He is apparently a member of one of the British Army bands and a student at the Royal College. Don't colleges still have music libraries?!?!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

5. I have several unpublished piano reductions of pieces that are only available with brass band accomp. One of these is Euphonium Fantasia. Steve did the reduction for me when I played the piece as a solo on baritone at NABBA in Cincinnati. I finished just out of the the top 3.

In cases where the piano reduction is unavailable, AND THE REQUESTOR HAS SHOWN ME THEY HAVE PURCHASED THE ORIGINAL, I will share the piano reduction with the approval of the composer. I prefer to direct the person to the composer directly as I have done with Philip Harper (Lark in the Clear Air), Paul Lovatt-Cooper, and others. They are often quite responsive.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

That's a good policy, Doug.

To me it becomes a bit less black & white when a piece is permanently out of print or unavailable for some other reason. In the case of this guy, before I responded and reported the post, I checked to see if they were easily available. They both were, so the line was pretty clear.

I'm already getting requests for this arrangement, but it is tricky. The song is public domain, but the arrangement is by a professor who died 50+ years ago. I have not been able to find it published anywhere, but in theory he could have it under copyright (his estate would own it in that case). I only have a pencil copy to go from, which I made from some hard copy in college. No idea what the original looked like! I'm tempted to share the arrangement privately when asked, but not make it public. Still considering...

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Very nice arrangement Dave and nicely played! I like the close harmony and the only vibrato is lead. Nice!
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Are copyrights in force during the life of the author plus 70 years? I believe that's the case but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    That's a good policy, Doug.

To me it becomes a bit less black & white when a piece is permanently out of print or unavailable for some other reason. In the case of this guy, before I responded and reported the post, I checked to see if they were easily available. They both were, so the line was pretty clear.

I'm already getting requests for this arrangement, but it is tricky. The song is public domain, but the arrangement is by a professor who died 50+ years ago. I have not been able to find it published anywhere, but in theory he could have it under copyright (his estate would own it in that case). I only have a pencil copy to go from, which I made from some hard copy in college. No idea what the original looked like! I'm tempted to share the arrangement privately when asked, but not make it public. Still considering...

John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Davidus1 View Post
    Are copyrights in force during the life of the author plus 70 years? I believe that's the case but I could be wrong.
    It depends. According to this site:

connollymusic.com

Copyrights don’t last forever. (Although don’t tell that to Walt Disney.) If a work was published in the United States before 1923, it’s mostly likely in the public domain and can be copied freely. If it was published in the United States between 1923 and 1978, the work enjoys copyright protection for 95 years from the date of publication. For works published after 1978, the copyright holds until 70 years after the composer has died.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    It depends. According to this site:

connollymusic.com
    Yes, that's right.

A number of years ago I found a rare book in the library on Isabelle Vengerova, the great piano pedagogue. I wrote to the author (care of the University his bio said he was associated with) asking for a copy, and I received a reply from his widow, who was then the owner of the copyright. She told me that in exchange for a donation to the University of only $15, I could make three copies of the book for the use of myself and two colleagues. I gratefully accepted the proposal.

A year later, a friend of mine found a copy of the book in a used bookstore, remembered that I was looking for it, and had the bookstore contact me.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast