• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by euphisto View Post
    How difficult would it be to offer a variety of receiver sizes on an Adams euphonium? The large and medium receivers work well on my Hirsbrunner.
    It MIGHT be possible to special order different size receivers from Adams. The receiver is already removeable so they would have to produce them with different inside tapers. But they would not be a quick switch! It takes a lot of turns to get the receiver on and off.

Also what about an adjustable right hand rest? Maybe it could be removable with a number of different sizes and shapes available - even one made of stainless steel or carbon fiber?
    I doubt it is workable. Another term for the hand rest is "convenient carrying handle" so it needs to be really sturdy. Any adjustment mechanism would compromise that, I think. But is surely might be useful to adapt the horn to different players. Maybe someone clever will come up with a way.

How crazy would it be to redesign the lead pipe with an adjustable tuning slide on it similar to a saxhorn operated by trigger?
    My theory is that the "early" tuning slide fell out of favor because you have a cylindrical run inside the critical leadpipe, and I would think the modern large euphonium would benefit more from the tapered leadpipe that is the current standard.

I also like the idea of Pollard Water Keys in place of regular water keys.
    Pretty sure you could order that with the horn. As you may know I ordered mine with Amado-style water keys on all slides and with a special, center placement. They even sent me a 2nd slide with a Saturn key so I could evaluate it. They can usually get (or already have a supply of) these special keys, and at that point it is just a matter of what they solder over the hole.
    Last edited by davewerden; 01-22-2021, 04:36 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• euphisto
      • Jul 2006

It's difficult to think of anything new that's actually worth trying, especially for someone with without an engineering background like me!
      Last edited by euphisto; 01-22-2021, 10:05 PM.

Comment

• Rodgeman
        • Dec 2014

I would like to see the 4th valve on a compensating euphonium to be a rotor. You can still use the left hand to activate it but the placement would allow for a different hand position. Maybe be able to attach a hand hook (for lack of a better term) to the front of the instrument and make it adjustable. Coming from trombone - using my thumb would be muscle memory I already have. It would also keep the fourth valve from sticking out. What do you all think?

There is a company doing this for compensating tubas:
        http://m-j-c.co.uk/customising/index.html
        Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Comment

• euphisto
          • Jul 2006

A rotary fourth valve would be interesting. I'd imagine it would allow for a configuration of the first 3 valve either up or front facing. I think I've seen compensating rotary valves on tubas somewhere on the internet.

Comment

• Fujiifilm
            • Mar 2011

Wessex looks like they adopted a similar idea for the 4th valve on their 6/4 compensating BBb tuba, the "Leviathan.' (A fitting name I might add, given the pictures!)

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections...-tb681h-tb691h

Still a 3+1 setup like most euphoniums and tubas you would see in brass bands.

I would be curious to see the possibilities of applying this to euphonium like Rodgeman said.
            Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
            Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
            Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
            VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
            York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
            Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
            Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
            F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

Comment

• Micah.Dominic.Parsons-OFFLINE
              • Jun 2020

Hello everyone,

I have been absolutely fascinated by the comments which I have read and I would be interested in learning a little more or exploring options for different leadpipes this would be quite interesting I think.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Comment

Working...
              X