Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Euphonium Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by spkissane View Post
    Any idea why that is, Dave? More difficult to manufacture?

My particular E1 was already made with the SS leadpipe, and honestly I've never had a horn I enjoy playing more. Now, whether or not the leadpipe is the sole cause of that is certainly up for debate, but out of all the horns at ITEC, it was the one I fell in love with.
    If memory serves, it was because attacks could be less clear. But that would bother you or not bother you, depending on your own style, preferences, and attacks. The horn had been displayed in the Twin Cities a month before ITEC and I had a chance to play it. I did not notice a problem, but I have an attack that is too strong for my tastes (I often found my attacks would overload the mics or electronics when I recorded solos with the Coast Guard Band. Because I have been playing an E3 for a while, I could not say that I could appreciate the positive qualities it might have brought to the table. I find it not at all surprising that you like it so much, though. Different strokes and all that! Possibly if I did more extensive testing I might have the same preference.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

2. Hello everyone,

This is really interesting to hear, I think I should check out the Adams Euphonium, I have never really seen one live before so I am rather curious to find out more.

Many Thanks,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah.Dominic.Parsons View Post
    Hello everyone,

This is really interesting to hear, I think I should check out the Adams Euphonium, I have never really seen one live before so I am rather curious to find out more.

Many Thanks,

Micah Dominic Parsons
    Indeed you should!! They are fantabulous instruments. And I have owned two Besson Prestige euphoniums in the past.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

4. Hello John,

I have to admit that I have had a lifelong relationship with Besson and I think the instruments they are producing now are just the best I have ever seen but it will be interesting to try these other brands too!

Many Thanks,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Agreed that the instruments Besson are making now are the best instruments that they have ever made. I don't understand the nostalgia that exists in some circles around the round stamps.

I think current Besson euphoniums play great. (I'm less enthusiastic about their baritones.) They aren't perfect, absolutely no instrument is, and it's a matter of balancing the good and bad factors of different marques against each other. I like the response and timbre of besson instruments a lot, and they are generally really well made. The valves are fantastic. Intonation is less great but it's workable. The absolute deciding factor for me is the absolutely abysmal level of customer service we get for Besson instruments here in the US. It's very difficult to get parts like felts, valve guides, those rubber damper things, springs. And Besson/Buffet Crampon doesn't seem to care at all that it's hard to get. That's a deal breaker.
    --
    Barry

6. Hello Barry,

This is really interesting to hear! It is amazing how there is this different element currently in The United Kingdom a number of top players are moving to Geneva, I think the top brands currently being played in the UK is Besson, Sterling, Geneva and Yamaha. Wilson and Adams euphonium's are not widely played but it would be interesting to see more of this in the future.

Many Thanks,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Micah,

I just recently switched from a Besson Prestige to a new Shires Q40 horn. Very identical sound to my Prestige, a bit broader and the horn itself is remarkably lighter in weight, so the sound really jumps out of the horn and projects easily. I actually think the valves are BETTER than my Prestige, it has a much smoother feel from note to note. Feels similar to when I tested MAW valves in my tuba a few years ago. MAW valves would be an interesting "upgrade" for euphoniums to consider! Intonation on the horn is quite good as well. No trigger on it (yet hopefully!) but I don't find I would need it as often as I would on my Besson. I've yet to play it in Brass Band rehearsal due to Covid which I think will be the real test for the horn IMO in terms of what I'm looking for, and what sounds like you might be looking for as well.

Cheers!
    Steven Vaughn, D.M.A.
    Professor of Tuba & Euphonium, University of Northern Colorado

Principal Tuba - Fort Collins Symphony
    Euphonium - Fountain City Brass Band

Eastman 836 CC Tuba
    Meinl Weston 2182W F Tuba
    Besson 2052 Euphonium

Hello Steven, if I remember correctly, you were going to examine both Q40 and Q41.... In your opinion, how do the two differ in tone and other performance parameters? And what made you opt for Q40?

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by stevevaughn View Post
    MAW valves would be an interesting "upgrade" for euphoniums to consider!
    I asked Martin about this once, and apparently the process/design would be extremely difficult and expensive for compensating valves. Something to do with the fact that there's very little material in between some of the connecting spaces in the pistons because of all the added tubing (iirc).

He did design a 4th valve for the Willson 2900, which I bought from him and have since sold to a member of this forum, since I don't play on a 2900 anymore. I found the valve to be an improvement in several respects, especial in the low register!

Having owned several of each type, German Prestige (although admittedly nothing since 2008) and older UK Sovereigns including two round stamps, I have to say that I feel there is a denser sound from the round stamps. Intonation is, as you rightly say, not up with the very best, but the facility to have vary the tonal quality for me is unparalleled. I can get around intonation issues adequately, but the newer Prestiges I've played, indeed my assistant has a brand new one, seem a much brighter tone, with seemingly less sonority in the lower register.
    Nowt

Retired

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast