Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new source for quality gig bags

A new source for quality gig bags

This was posted on Tubenet

www.superfinecases.com

I went to the site and the cases appear to be very very nice. I saw at least one person on Tubenet that said they have had one for a couple of weeks and really liked it. I want to make it clear that I do not know the owners of this company but am merely passing it on as the number of custom gig bags available is pretty thin. I'm thankful for companies such as this as well as Cronkite so that there is a place to get nicer gear for those desiring it. Check it out.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

I just looked at their web site and apparently they have closed their shop this past June. They said they were closed for the summer, but would perhaps reopen. No indication that they've reopened, however. There's an email address on the site. A leather euph gig bag goes for $530, cordura for $430. Straps cost extra.
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Thanks for that update. FWIW, the message referred to, which is still there, is:

The shop will close on June 24, 2022 due to the loss of our lease. We will remain closed through the summer while we relocate and – perhaps – enjoy some time off with our families. Thanks for your patience! And keep an eye on this space for any updates on our situation.
    And here is there Facebook page, which has not been updated for months:

https://www.facebook.com/people/Supe...0037580906472/

If they do come back, it would be hard to convince me away from Cronkhite. They have a long history of high quality (now owned by Torpedo Bags, which also has a great reputation from what I hear).

Superfine is an American company, which is a plus for me (California).
    Last edited by davewerden; 10-27-2022 at 06:19 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I'm afraid Cronkhite is just too expensive. I bought a new Cronkhite bag for my Kanstul 33-T tuba about 10 years ago (back when Glenn still owned the business -- and he had to make up a new template for this new tuba model as a bonus) and it's been absolutely great. I never use the hard shell case anymore (but then again, I don't travel with that tuba anywhere except locally).

I'm in the market for a bag big enough for my Adams E2. I tried the Gard bag that I'd heard much about, but it was far too small for my horn. That particular Gard bag, model 51-MLK, is a well-made, solid bag with lots of non-standard interior padding with hook & loop fastening, but it's just too small for the E2. Furthermore, my Boosey Imperial, built 1941, would also not fit. I'm convinced that Gard bag could only accommodate a non-comp horn like maybe the Yamaha 321 -- but certainly nothing bigger. So I'm returning the Gard bag to the seller for a refund.

I do note that Torpedo Bags sell their Cronkhite bags on Ebay, selling them about $70 cheaper than they do on their web site. They're still out of my price range, however.

I went ahead and ordered an Altieri bag (their large model) last night. Remains to be seen how that'll work.

Those Cronkite bags look GORGEOUS!

Dave, do you have a pic of your E3 in one so I could see how they fit?
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Wonderful, detailed review by Dave can be found here ~

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...m#.Y1u5XCUpAWM
    David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Shinn View Post

FWIW, Torpedo Bags, the new owner of the Cronkhite lineup of gig bags, seems to have worked through its backlog of a few years ago. Their web site does not show any need to wait (as long as you're ordering a stock bag -- custom bags that have to be built could very well have a lag time) and even their Ebay entry shows availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinn View Post

Thanks for linking Dave's comments. I read them with interest.

For my application, I don't travel great distances with my horn and certainly not on aircraft any more. (I note many players routinely travel with their horn in gig bags and there has been much discussion about how that's done to try and negate the need to stow the horn in the baggage compartment), but I digress.

My horn is the standard yellow brass bell, 0.08mm, silver-plated Adams E2. No sterling silver, so apart from the usual concerns about using a gig bag to begin with, I think the Altieri bag will offer sufficient protection for my horn.

The only thing I worry about is there is no 4th valve lock on my Adams. I kick myself every day for failing to have Adams install that crucial piece of protection when the horn was built. (I had to have the Adams team build a horn from scratch, cut down about a semi-tone because their horns all play flat for me.) There is nothing special about the horn other than that, but I should have had that 4th valve lock put on the horn and should've added a couple extra braces around the 4th valve slide and main tuning slide. So I'm going to see if a local reputable repair facility can handle that task for me. I cringe using a gig bag without having that 4th valve locked down.

Quote Originally Posted by Eupher6 View Post
    I went ahead and ordered an Altieri bag (their large model) last night. Remains to be seen how that'll work.
    I hope you like your Altieri bag, let us know how it goes with your Adams. It isn't the sleekest bag and there is a bit of extra room in the bag when the horn is in, but I have found mine to be very well made, has nice big storage pockets, is comfortable to carry, and the padding seems adequate for any purpose I could imagine a gig bag being used for. I have been using mine for about 6 years and still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by aroberts781 View Post
    I hope you like your Altieri bag, let us know how it goes with your Adams. It isn't the sleekest bag and there is a bit of extra room in the bag when the horn is in, but I have found mine to be very well made, has nice big storage pockets, is comfortable to carry, and the padding seems adequate for any purpose I could imagine a gig bag being used for. I have been using mine for about 6 years and still love it.
    Will do, and if there is extra room within the bag, there's always the option of cutting and fitting some fishnet-covered foam rubber inside the bag, using velcro to keep same in place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast