Thread: Help with mouthpiece for euphonium and bass trombone

1. Help with mouthpiece for euphonium and bass trombone

Hey everyone, I am looking for a mouthpiece that would be a good all around for both euphonium and bass trombone. I currently play on a Denis Wick SM4U and also have a Carbonaria mouthpiece that I try occasionally. I have thought about getting a bach 3g, but I am not sure if that would be a good fit for me. Low notes usually aren't an issue for me, but my upper register is not the best.

Thank you for any recommendations or advice.
    B&H 967 Sovereign Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Euphism View Post
    Hey everyone, I am looking for a mouthpiece that would be a good all around for both euphonium and bass trombone. I currently play on a Denis Wick SM4U and also have a Carbonaria mouthpiece that I try occasionally. I have thought about getting a bach 3g, but I am not sure if that would be a good fit for me. Low notes usually aren't an issue for me, but my upper register is not the best. [snip]
    I think you have to choose the mouthpiece that works best with each instrument. I know Walter Barrett uses a Doug Elliott 114 rim on his euphonium, his tenor trombone, and his bass trombone. I don't know what he uses on his British-style baritone. I don't know if Walter changes cup and shank depending upon the instrument. My teacher Rob Stattel uses a BB1 on his Willson, and I've seen him play a Bach 6.5A (not 6.5AL) on his small-bore tenor. I've seen him use a Doug Elliott mouthpiece on his large-bore tenor, and I think it had a 100 rim but I forget the rest of the details.

I personally use a BB1 on my Mack Brass euphonium and an old Bach 6.5AL on my Strad 36B trombone. These mouthpieces have slightly different rims but significantly different cups and backbores.

Perhaps a Doug Elliott system would work for you - you can use the same rim and switch out cup depth/shank for the different instruments.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

IMHO, you should not be using the same mouthpiece with a Bass Trombone and a Euphonium. They are two very different instruments and sound concepts.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

If your low register is not an issue moving from a "4" to a "3" will make upper register even more difficult. I would recommend getting a private instructor and work with them BEFORE you make any changes. So many people talk themselves into and out of mouthpieces (needlessly in my opinion). A good teacher is worth every dime you will pay. Best wishes in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphism View Post
    Hey everyone, I am looking for a mouthpiece that would be a good all around for both euphonium and bass trombone. I currently play on a Denis Wick SM4U and also have a Carbonaria mouthpiece that I try occasionally. I have thought about getting a bach 3g, but I am not sure if that would be a good fit for me. Low notes usually aren't an issue for me, but my upper register is not the best.

Thank you for any recommendations or advice.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium