Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuba-Euphonium Doublers

started on euphonium, majored in trombone. I have two tubas, one I bought so I could sub with a brass band on tuba (E-flat) and one I bought mostly for noodling around but also for musical cross-training in the low register and for getting big breaths, and with which I've been able to do a few gigs (CC).

I find the CC fingerings to be easy. I started thinking of them as just a step away from B-flat fingerings and after a week or so of practice I really didn't need to think about them at all any more.

The E-flat fingerings I initially equated to alto trombone positions in my head, but as I got better I didn't need to do that anymore. In a brass band I just use "trumpet fingerings" as the music is in transposed treble clef. But I do get crossed up from time to time. I find the CC fingerings a heck of a lot easier to deal with, perhaps just because I've practiced them more.
    --
    Barry

I find it interesting the different roads musicians take to where they are now. I played CC tuba for a couple of years but ended up back on BBb as I preferred it. I have only played Eb for a couple of years as well and definitely not comfortable with the fingerings. My sight reading suffers on Eb! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    started on euphonium, majored in trombone. I have two tubas, one I bought so I could sub with a brass band on tuba (E-flat) and one I bought mostly for noodling around but also for musical cross-training in the low register and for getting big breaths, and with which I've been able to do a few gigs (CC).

I find the CC fingerings to be easy. I started thinking of them as just a step away from B-flat fingerings and after a week or so of practice I really didn't need to think about them at all any more.

The E-flat fingerings I initially equated to alto trombone positions in my head, but as I got better I didn't need to do that anymore. In a brass band I just use "trumpet fingerings" as the music is in transposed treble clef. But I do get crossed up from time to time. I find the CC fingerings a heck of a lot easier to deal with, perhaps just because I've practiced them more.
    John 3:16

Mack Brass Euphonium
    Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Mack Brass 200S BBb Tuba

Euphonium is my primary, but I play tenor, bass, and alto trombones, as well as BBb tuba. I find the tuba double is the easiest to maintain, but if I play too much tuba, it makes my euphonium sound too dark and dull.

I find Bass Trombone to be the most similar blow to euphonium.

Don Winston

Interesting conversation.

I have been thinking of getting a tuba, either a small 3/4 size 4 valve Bb or a 4 valve compensating Eb. It may actually be a little to early in my come-back to add another instrument, but I am intrigued with the possibility.

I found a place that has a small non-compensating Bb tuba with 4 rotary valves that has good reviews for about $1,000. It is a Chinese clone of a major brand. I am tempted to get one because it could be within my budget, and, being a smaller instrument (with a small bore I might add) it might fit my lung capacity better than a larger instrument.

Are most of the fingerings of a 4 valve Bb the same as bass clef euphonium? I say "most" of the fingerings because the tuba is non-compensating, and my euphonium is compensating. I know treble clef on the euphonium, and I am learning bass clef on the euphonium, so not having to learn a new set of bass clef fingerings could make it easier. I am aware of the trick for reading Eb as if it were a treble clef instrument with a shift in key signature, so maybe it's a toss up when it comes to fingerings (Eb vs. Bb). What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by massmanute View Post
    Interesting conversation.

I have been thinking of getting a tuba, either a small 3/4 size 4 valve Bb or a 4 valve compensating Eb. It may actually be a little to early in my come-back to add another instrument, but I am intrigued with the possibility.

I found a place that has a small non-compensating Bb tuba with 4 rotary valves that has good reviews for about $1,000. It is a Chinese clone of a major brand. I am tempted to get one because it could be within my budget, and, being a smaller instrument (with a small bore I might add) it might fit my lung capacity better than a larger instrument.

Are most of the fingerings of a 4 valve Bb the same as bass clef euphonium? I say "most" of the fingerings because the tuba is non-compensating, and my euphonium is compensating. I know treble clef on the euphonium, and I am learning bass clef on the euphonium, so not having to learn a new set of bass clef fingerings could make it easier. I am aware of the trick for reading Eb as if it were a treble clef instrument with a shift in key signature, so maybe it's a toss up when it comes to fingerings (Eb vs. Bb). What do you think?
    The fingerings for a Bb tuba are the same as for a euphonium. The difference being that the tuba is written an octave down from the euphonium. So for a euphonium bass clef C in the staff, that would be fingered 1&3 or 4, whereas that same note in that same position on the staff for a Bb tuba would be fingered 1 (you could play it 1&3 or 4 also) like the euphonium C right above the staff. As for the compensating vs. non-compensating, the fingerings are still the same, just that the compensating horn will be better in tune on those notes that use the compensating tubing (notes that have fingerings that include the 4th valve).
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, Wessex EP-100 Dolce Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Wessex TE-360 Bombino Eb Tuba
    Rapid City New Horizons & Municipal Bands (Euphonium)
    Black Hills Symphony Orchestra (Bass Trombone), Powder River Symphony, Gillette, WY (Tenor Trombone)
    Black Hills Brass Quintet (Tuba)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12