Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taps Across America

Quote Originally Posted by enhite View Post
    What is the consensus (or common practice) on vibrato on held notes during taps? I've listened to Army, Navy and Coast Guard recordings. They seem to me to be mostly vibrato free until the end of the held notes (at least on my computer speaker).
    I think most players try to evoke a solemn mood and play according to their sense of that. In general, the Army is the authority on such matters, and their sound sample has vibrato:

https://www.bands.army.mil/music/buglecalls/taps.asp
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thank you very much Dave. I don't think that I listened to that particular recording but can clearly hear the vibrato in it.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by enhite View Post
    What is the consensus (or common practice) on vibrato on held notes during taps? I've listened to Army, Navy and Coast Guard recordings. They seem to me to be mostly vibrato free until the end of the held notes (at least on my computer speaker).
    Ernie,

Listen to this video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfe4TxvUOiw

My former unit, where I participated in countless funerals. Here are a couple versions of Taps, one in nice weather, one in not so nice (notice the plastic mouthpiece on the bugle). I think vibrato is appropriate certainly on the held notes and longer notes.

John
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    ....Watching US news channels today I see the presenters and guests wishing each other "Happy Memorial Day".
    Is this typical?

In my country we honour both living veterans and the fallen on Nov 11. (Last day of the so-called War-To-End-All-Wars.)
    Remembrance Day is solemn and features ceremonies somewhat similar to US Memorial Day.
    Wishing people a "Happy" Remembrance Day would not be at all typical.

Thanks.
    "Happy Memorial Day" is inappropriate. It is a solemn day that honors those in uniform who gave their lives for our country. It might be more appropriate to wish folks a nice long and enjoyable weekend, with the addition of "and take time to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice".

Veterans Day in the United States, honors all veterans, living and dead, although it is largely intended to thank living veterans for their service. It is a tribute day to those who served.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 05-25-2020 at 01:22 PM.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

To add a little more color, the holiday was originally known as "Decoration Day" and was a day when people would visit the cemeteries where war dead were buried and put flowers or flags on the grave. I suppose as families came to be more geographically dispersed, they were not as likely/able to visit the grave, so it seemed better to call it "Memorial Day."
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    "Happy Memorial Day" is inappropriate. It is a solemn day that honors those in uniform who gave their lives for our country. It might be more appropriate to wish folks a nice long and enjoyable weekend, with the addition of "and take time to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice".

Veterans Day in the United States, honors all veterans, living and dead, although it is largely intended to thank living veterans for their service. It is a tribute day to those who served.
    Agreed!
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post

I agree too. It's easy for people to say, 'Happy Memorial Day' without thinking what it represents.

I went out and played 'Taps' myself at 3 PM today. Luckily it stopped raining for about 10 mins. Don't think anyone heard it though since most in our neighborhood here in S. FL have their windows closed and A/C running. I stood on my porch under the American flag and played. It was the most dressed up I've been for about two months wearing a band shirt for the "American Legion Band" I played in (American Flag on one shoulder)... but I was honored to do it.
    Last edited by RickF; 05-25-2020 at 04:45 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Good for you, Rick!! I played, too, and like you, this was the most dressed up I have been in ages. Had a couple or so neighbors who came to the end of our driveway. Planned to make a video of the event, but something went awry, and just a small portion of Taps was recorded, bummer. Will try to get that next year perhaps.

Afterwards, I was asked a bunch of questions about my horn. I was playing on my Adams E3. Got to spread some good PR about the euphonium to the neighbors, and found out one of them played a baritone in school.

I managed to get a couple pictures from the video. One is of me playing Taps, the other a few of the neighbors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	John playing Taps.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	7706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neighbors.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	7707

This was a nice event and I plan to do this again. It was an honor for me to honor those who lost their lives while in uniform.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Thanks to all for input on appropriate ways to play Taps. As a lifelong euphonium player, I left that to the trumpet players and stood at attention while they played. Learning how to do it properly and playing in front of my neighbors to honor those who sacrificed their lives for us was a privilege.
    Last edited by enhite; 05-26-2020 at 04:52 PM. Reason: grammar

Well, what do you know, one of our neighbors used her iPhone to do a video of the event. I posted it on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e98eilU8oS4

I live in Sturgis, SD, so one thing is for sure here, the wind will be blowing (you can hear it in the video) and 500,000 to 750,000 or more motorcyclists will arrive annually in early August. Oops, guess that was two things.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 05-26-2020 at 01:20 PM.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast