X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Davidus1
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by John Morgan View Post
    "Happy Memorial Day" is inappropriate. It is a solemn day that honors those in uniform who gave their lives for our country. It might be more appropriate to wish folks a nice long and enjoyable weekend, with the addition of "and take time to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice".

Veterans Day in the United States, honors all veterans, living and dead, although it is largely intended to thank living veterans for their service. It is a tribute day to those who served.
    Agreed!
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• RickF
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by John Morgan View Post
      "Happy Memorial Day" is inappropriate. It is a solemn day that honors those in uniform who gave their lives for our country. It might be more appropriate to wish folks a nice long and enjoyable weekend, with the addition of "and take time to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice".

Veterans Day in the United States, honors all veterans, living and dead, although it is largely intended to thank living veterans for their service. It is a tribute day to those who served.
      I agree too. It's easy for people to say, 'Happy Memorial Day' without thinking what it represents.

I went out and played 'Taps' myself at 3 PM today. Luckily it stopped raining for about 10 mins. Don't think anyone heard it though since most in our neighborhood here in S. FL have their windows closed and A/C running. I stood on my porch under the American flag and played. It was the most dressed up I've been for about two months wearing a band shirt for the "American Legion Band" I played in (American Flag on one shoulder)... but I was honored to do it.
      Last edited by RickF; 05-25-2020, 04:45 PM.
      Rick Floyd
      Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
      Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
      The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
      Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• John Morgan
        • Apr 2014

Good for you, Rick!! I played, too, and like you, this was the most dressed up I have been in ages. Had a couple or so neighbors who came to the end of our driveway. Planned to make a video of the event, but something went awry, and just a small portion of Taps was recorded, bummer. Will try to get that next year perhaps.

Afterwards, I was asked a bunch of questions about my horn. I was playing on my Adams E3. Got to spread some good PR about the euphonium to the neighbors, and found out one of them played a baritone in school.

I managed to get a couple pictures from the video. One is of me playing Taps, the other a few of the neighbors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	John playing Taps.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	117688Click image for larger version

Name:	Neighbors.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	117689

This was a nice event and I plan to do this again. It was an honor for me to honor those who lost their lives while in uniform.
        John Morgan
        The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
        Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
        1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
        Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
        Year Round Except Summer:
        Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
        KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
        Summer Only:
        Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
        Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• enhite
          • May 2012

Thanks to all for input on appropriate ways to play Taps. As a lifelong euphonium player, I left that to the trumpet players and stood at attention while they played. Learning how to do it properly and playing in front of my neighbors to honor those who sacrificed their lives for us was a privilege.
          Last edited by enhite; 05-26-2020, 04:52 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• John Morgan
            • Apr 2014

Well, what do you know, one of our neighbors used her iPhone to do a video of the event. I posted it on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e98eilU8oS4

I live in Sturgis, SD, so one thing is for sure here, the wind will be blowing (you can hear it in the video) and 500,000 to 750,000 or more motorcyclists will arrive annually in early August. Oops, guess that was two things.
            Last edited by John Morgan; 05-26-2020, 01:20 PM.
            John Morgan
            The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
            Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
            1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
            Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
            Year Round Except Summer:
            Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
            KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
            Summer Only:
            Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
            Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• Shawn
              • May 2020

Well done, all of you. Seeing such thoughtfulness in other people always makes me happy.

Comment

• dsurkin
                • Feb 2014

I did it and posted a video to my Facebook page. I saw a reference in this thread to signing up - I wasn't aware I was supposed to do that.

I am a little embarrassed that the horn slipped a bit in my grip, and my third note (B-flat) had a pitch waver that transcended good vibrato. Nevertheless, I got good feedback from my neighbors.

A few blocks away, a very young trumpet player tried it, and he made a noble attempt - but he started on the 2nd partial (Bb3) rather than the 3rd (F4) and continued from there, one partial too low for each note.
                Dean L. Surkin
                Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
                Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
                Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
                See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

• bbocaner
                  • May 2009

I played on post horn at the back of our property and my wife played on coach horn at the front. We're pretty spaced out so we weren't sure if any neighbors would hear it, but we wanted to do it anyway to honor the fallen -- but we did hear from one neighbor later that they appreciated it.
                  --
                  Barry

Comment

• ann reid
                    • Jan 2019

We are quarantined, so there was no one here but my husband and myself.

My yard was full of singing birds, the sky was overcast. I could hear children playing around the neighborhood, and they became quiet as I played.

Playing Taps yesterday for all who have been lost was the best part of my day.

Comment

Working...
                    X