Thread: Holding Your Horn & Spit Valve on Main Tuning Slide

Holding Your Horn & Spit Valve on Main Tuning Slide

Dear all,

Would like to tap into your collective wisdom on this. I use a left hand strap on my horn because it is easier for me to hold the horn, and I usually hold it at a slight angle to have it be more comfortable. The issue I have is that if i try to have the horn against my body, whether it is standing or sitting,I would eventually have my tummy press against the slip valve, opening it and screwing with my sound. Does anyone else have such an issue?

Aside from maybe losing weight and have a flat belly, is there any other easy workaround for this? Short of actually holding the horn away from my body (which I do, but it's so taxing on my hands). I have yet to find a good fix for this, even when sitting down.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I can see how that might happen, that is, to have the spit valve opened by you pressing against it. Do you have a main slide trigger on your Neo? I'm thinking you don't. Even though this may be a little bit inconvenient, you could wrap something around the spit valve to keep it from opening (rubber band, better yet a zip tie colored to match your horn). Then just pull the slide to empty the water like you have to for some of the other slides.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I have Amado keys on my Adams. For the main tuning slide I specified that the key be installed "backward" to the plunger/button is on the front side of the slide. That way my stomach can't accidentally push it open and is it still quite easy to reach the button with a left-hand finger to empty it. A repair shop could do this modification for you.

I also considered Saturn water keys, but, aside from appearance I consider awkward, the tuning slide would have had the same vulnerability.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I have Amado keys on my Adams. For the main tuning slide I specified that the key be installed "backward" to the plunger/button is on the front side of the slide. That way my stomach can't accidentally push it open and is it still quite easy to reach the button with a left-hand finger to empty it. A repair shop could do this modification for you.

I also considered Saturn water keys, but, aside from appearance I consider awkward, the tuning slide would have had the same vulnerability.
    Wanted to check, are there different sizes for the amado keys? OR are they all 1 size fit all (for all instruments)

I was considering the Saturn key, but good point about having the same vulnerability, since it can be pushed anywhere!

Also that's a good tip about installing the Amado key the other way to avoid accidentally pushing it open!
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

My first horn had standard Amado keys. I had my repair tech drill them out so the hole was more practical.

Now Adams is using their own version, so the size is correct for the horn they put them on.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium