Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wick 2AL

I use a Doug Yeo replica mouthpiece on my JP 274. I played bass trombone and tuba for many years. I tried the 4AL that come with it but it is just too small for me.

FEATURES

28.72mm inner diameter
    Semi-flat contour
    Semi-thin
    Semi-deep cup
    8mm throat
    Semi-wide backbore
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodgeman View Post
    I use a Doug Yeo replica mouthpiece on my JP 274. I played bass trombone and tuba for many years. I tried the 4AL that come with it but it is just too small for me....
    Now that is one big mouthpiece for a euphonium! I own a Doug Yeo signature model Yamaha bass trombone along with his signature mouthpiece. I tried the Yeo mouthpiece on my euphonium just now, then put my Demondrae piece back in, and after listening to what the Yeo sounded like on my euphonium, the Demondrae piece made my euphonium sound like a baritone. My high range was not good with the Yeo piece.

You are a better man than me, Rodgeman, who can play his euphonium with the Yeo MP. Have you tried the Demondrae or a 3ish sized piece?
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Now that is one big mouthpiece for a euphonium! I own a Doug Yeo signature model Yamaha bass trombone along with his signature mouthpiece. I tried the Yeo mouthpiece on my euphonium just now, then put my Demondrae piece back in, and after listening to what the Yeo sounded like on my euphonium, the Demondrae piece made my euphonium sound like a baritone. My high range was not good with the Yeo piece.

You are a better man than me, Rodgeman, who can play his euphonium with the Yeo MP. Have you tried the Demondrae or a 3ish sized piece?
    Thank you for the kind words - although based on your resume I doubt I am the better man. Certainly not in the same league playing wise. As I am coming back from playing a Geib style tuba mouthpiece I gravitated to a larger mouthpiece and still owned the Doug Yeo. I liked the mass with it also.

You inspired me in practice today to try my 4AL again. It does make the higher register easier.

Once the world has settled down I think I will look into the Demondrae or a 3ish or 2ish. The 4AL was still bright for me. Thank you for the interesting topic.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

In keeping with this thread I have been inspired to move off of the large Doug Yeo mouthpiece to a Denis Wick 3AL. I can';t wait to try it.

Thank you longhornpatino for starting this discussion to get me to look at my own playing.

Also thank you John Morgan for the adivce.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12