Thread: I have just bought a Wessex Maly and

1. I have just bought a Wessex Maly and

find that is hard to hold. I have ordered a QHR strap but it isn't here yet. I'd appreciate hearing from a Maly owner regarding how you hold the horn. I like it a lot but need suggestions. Thanks.

Little Jimmy

Never played the Maly, but the ergonomics are the same as a any other rotary. The only difference is the flipped bell curve, and the fact it's mega compact.

Use your left hand to hold the bell exactly opposite of your right hand. Your left arm will be doing most of the work. Then find a depth that you're comfortable with your right hand on the rotors. If your thumb can't fit comfortably in the thumb ring up to your hand, curve your thumb so that you can find with the thumb ring with your knuckle. Because the horn is so small, you will probably have to bend your elbows quite a bit to find the mouthpiece. You should be playing with the bell tilted just a bit towards your left. That position will help you reach the mouthpiece as well as put the weight on your left hand. You don't want to be holding the horn with your right thumb any more than necessary.

Keep in mind, this horn is designed to be as portable as possible and comes from a day and age when bands routinely had to play mounted. If you feel like it's tiny and you're really bunched up when playing it, then you're doing it right.
    Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.