Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Besson Prestige 2052

Thumbs up FS: Besson Prestige 2052

Posting for yet another friend of mine,
    For sale is a mint Besson Prestige 2052. The seller used to study the euphonium in college but quit a couple years ago, leaving this instrument collecting dust until he put it up for sale just now. As you can see from the pictures, this horn is in excellent condition, apart from some microscratches on the silverplate from regular use there are no other signs of use or damage of any kind. This horn was selected from a batch I believe, and was well tested before purchase. The seller includes the original case, which is also in great condition, and all of the original accessories that came with the horn.
    The horn is located in Belgium but seller is willing to ship if needed (around 150 USD shipping from my past experience). Asking price is 5000 euro, which is fair IMO considering the instrument is barely used despite being a couple years old.
    You can acces the original listing on the Belgian Website through this link (Dutch): https://www.2dehands.be/a/muziek-en-...reviousPage=lr
    You can also contact the seller directly if interested: aaron@gorsen.be
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_84(1).JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	7685Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_84(3).JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	7686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_84(4).JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	7687Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_84(2).JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	7688Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_84(5).JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	7689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_84(6).JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	7690
    Last edited by RickF; 05-19-2020 at 01:28 PM.

Sold to a very fortunate member of this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    Sold to a very fortunate member of this forum!
    Indeed, one might think the horn is brand new.
    It arrived yesterday after a whole month in transit in these Covid-complicated times. We were beginning to wonder how many ports of call it had visited on its long, trans-Atlantic journey.
    My son reports narrow slots (no problem with a trigger), easy-speaking low end, free high range, and the timbre is fabulous.
    Thanks for posting the notice here, Vito.
    Anyone know if the fabric Besson draw-string bag has a functional use? Is it anti-tarnish? It seems an unnecessary hassle to use, so I suggested that it become a Besson-branded pillow case

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by tokuno View Post
    ...Anyone know if the fabric Besson draw-string bag has a functional use? Is it anti-tarnish? It seems an unnecessary hassle to use, so I suggested that it become a Besson-branded pillow case
    Other makers include a bag as well, my Adams came with one. I frankly don't use it. I remember Brian Bowman had a bag with his euphonium in the early to mid 1970's. He used it. I think that was the first time I had seen that. If you are going for anti-tarnish, just putting it in the case would seem to do the trick. I fretted about dropping my horn trying to get it in the bag, so the bag has found other uses.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

If the bag is made of brown Pacific Silver Cloth, which resembles felt (see image below), then it is to ward off tarnish. If your son will be using a leather gig bag the additional cloth bag will help it warding off tarnish. But if he's going to use the hard case I personally don't see any need in using it.

For my Yamaha 641 I used a Glenn Cronkhite bag which was made of leather. My horn tarnished pretty quickly in the gig bag. My wife made me a draw-string bag out of Pacific Silver Cloth and it stopped the tarnish. As John said, putting your horn in a cloth bag before putting it in its case can be a pain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pacific Silver Cloth.jpg  
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

6. My Besson 2051 had the bag. I also didn't use it (though I also didn't use the case). I had a Cordura Cronkhite Gig bag that I used exclusively and most of the time, my horn lives on a euphonium stand when at home.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by tokuno View Post
    Indeed, one might think the horn is brand new.
    It arrived yesterday after a whole month in transit in these Covid-complicated times. We were beginning to wonder how many ports of call it had visited on its long, trans-Atlantic journey.
    My son reports narrow slots (no problem with a trigger), easy-speaking low end, free high range, and the timbre is fabulous.
    Thanks for posting the notice here, Vito.
    Anyone know if the fabric Besson draw-string bag has a functional use? Is it anti-tarnish? It seems an unnecessary hassle to use, so I suggested that it become a Besson-branded pillow case
    Glad to hear the horn reached you without damage despite the long transit. Congratulations with your purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    Glad to hear the horn reached you without damage despite the long transit. Congratulations with your purchase!
    I popped a mouthpiece in his Sterling Virtuoso and we ran some duets - the two horns sound glorious together, except for the actual playing part - I've been too long off euphonium. Nevertheless, it was special to me - the two of us are father-son 1st chair CA All State, but 38 years apart.

9. Quote Originally Posted by tokuno View Post
    Nevertheless, it was special to me - the two of us are father-son 1st chair CA All State, but 38 years apart.
    tokuno,

That is fantastic. I was 1st chair CA All State in 1968/69 - 51 and 52 years ago. Fond memories of playing Bydlo under Frederick Fennell in 1968. Unfortunately, the musical gene was not passed down to either of my children.

Keep playing! I am in the midst of my 60th year. Perhaps I shouldn't count 2020 due to Covid-19 layoffs.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Let me know if you or your son are ever interested in subbing in our new South Bay British Brass Band, the San Francisco Brass Band either on Euphonium or Baritone. Once we can resume rehearsals that is
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast