Thread: FS: Sterling VIRTUOSO Euphonium

FS: Sterling VIRTUOSO Euphonium

This Virtuoso is used, but in excellent condition. It is silver with gold trim and has a trigger. It comes with 2 nice hard cases. One is a Bonna or a close copy, and the other looks like a Besson/Yamaha style case. The buy-it-now price is $5,900 and there IS a make-offer button. Local pickup only, in the Winston-Salem (NC) area.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353076951074?ul_noapp=true

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	371.9 KB 
ID:	7682 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	37 
Size:	394.1 KB 
ID:	7683 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	24 
Size:	577.3 KB 
ID:	7684
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

2. Despite the seller's eBay misnomer, this is NOT a JP Sterling Virtuoso. It is just a Sterling Virtuoso. The "JP Sterling" moniker only applies to the JP274/JP374, instruments which are completely Chinese manufactured. This instrument is largely manufactured in England, the valve assembly being the imported sub assembly.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Thanks, Doug. I wondered about that, but I thought perhaps there had been some further merging that I didn't know about! Anyway, I just corrected the thread title.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Would definitely think they should post a picture of the model number and bell marking if they want people to be interested. They also tried to put their phone number in the listing, which ebay removed. I would guess they are not tech savvy at all.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    They also tried to put their phone number in the listing, which ebay removed. I would guess they are not tech savvy at all.
    That is actually against eBay's rules, because it often indicates a seller who wants to advertise for free on eBay and then sell directly to a buyer. That cheats eBay out of the commission, and in this case would also cheat me out of the commission for linking from here. For the buyer, you would not be protected from any fraud or misleading listings - that is one of the main advantages I see in doing business through eBay.

It could have been an innocent mistake by a newbie, but take care!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    It could have been an innocent mistake by a newbie, but take care!
    True. Really getting some bad vibes. It looks like a good horn but with those picture it'll never go for anywhere near what they are asking.

I sent them a message, and I'll see if they get back to me.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Well, I sent them a message, they responded, and now they have the name right, and pictures of the bell and model number.

Well, I sent them a message, they responded, and now they have the name right, and pictures of the bell and model number.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    I've had numerous interchanges with the eBay seller, and had requested the bell stamp with country of origin to confirm, so the seller sent me the photos, but also bumped the price over the current retail price of new from Baltimore Brass plus a $327 shipping charge.
    Given the buyer's one-entry eBay rating, the unknown/unknow-able playing condition, the existing (albeit probably cosmetic) damage to the horn, the risk of incurring shipping damage if the seller doesn't know how to properly package the horn, and the inability to return it if it's a clunker, compared to all the Baltimore Brass positives, I'm no longer following this listing.

Yeah, that price is kinda crazy, even with the gold trim and heavy valve cap. I guess they must have searched online and priced it once they knew what it really was?

Who would pay new prices for a used instrument?