Thread: How to Practice Anchors Aweigh

How to Practice Anchors Aweigh

This is a GREAT march for the euphoniums! Lots of interesting stuff to do, even though we never get the main melody. The video below has some tips and demonstrations. If you look at the YouTube description you'll find a link to download TC/BC part for the march so you can try some of this yourself.

I worked with an older student on this and he loved the march. He convinced his community band to program it for a concert in the month of the Navy's birthday (tying it to a patriotic holiday is also an idea). Be aware that you may have the power to get some things done!

https://youtu.be/tw1wyiUtvgs
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks! We still play the trio in every ceremony at Marine Band San Diego. It’s a favorite part of mine, sometimes we’ll get a horn player and a trombone or two to jump in for a front rank of fun. I’m pretty sure the Navy bands play a new arrangement, at least we did at the school of music.

Alex S

I THINK I heard Navy bands doing this one back when I was there, but I've been out for 24 years and was in for 26. So my memories of hearing may reach pretty far back.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium